1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

About MacBook pro 13-inch with retina

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by momtaz, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

Hello tech guys,

I never used Macbook before or any products of apple other than iphone4s,
    all my experience with computers/laprop and internet with windows,

In my mind to make a shift to MacBook, in term of fatser and more stable as some friends advised me,
    I am targeting to buy a MacBook pro 13-inch with Retina,

I would appreciate if any advises from whom experience to use both (windows and Mac) to desrcibe the major features of Mac and the advantages vs. windows,
    Thanks in advance,

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you are going to get varied answers from this type of question - should i get a BMW or a Merc

there will be advantages and disadvantages to both - I think the main disadvantage will be software - you will need Mac software , so if you have an investment in windows software - then you will not be able to use on a Mac

But that really depends on what you intend doing with the machine - so what will you use the PC for ?

you can get free office software that works on a Mac if required

3. Headrush

Headrush

I agree with pretty much everything etaf said.
    Both OSes can do pretty much everything thing the same and the differences are more personal taste.

OS X tends to hide a lot of features in the assumption that most users don't need or use them and as such it sometimes appears it's a simpler and more streamlined OS.

One advantage of using OS X is that if you do have iOS devices, the ecosystem is much more robust.

You do have several options to maintain your investment in Windows software.
    Dual booting is a viable option for using all your Windows software.

There is also virtualization software like Parallels, VMware Fusion, and VirtualBox (free) that run Windows application directly within OS X with terrific results. (For the absolute latest 3D games/software dual boot is better option)

4. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

Thanks guys: etaf and headrush,
    the main concern to make a choice which to buy: in term of speed.. whatever aspect to download or surf internet or use graphics etc, and the second is about stability.. means not that crush.. or freezing etc,
    I am froxed platfom user, so I need the speed to be smooth and stability.. no freezing or cruch or that error debug and send report to window.. also I am watching/listening to online TV besides checking emails and facebook chat and skype chat..
    now, maybe you can get a clearer picture why I am thinking to make a shift, even for extra investment is ok, as long as will keep me running smoothly,
    Thanks guys and appreciate your consult.

5. Headrush

Headrush

None of the tasks you listed is generally very tasking and as long as you have adequate RAM, both OSes will likely run most tasks at very similar speeds.

Freezing on both OSes is more often related to limited RAM and the need to use the hard disk to swap memory pages.
    Although not absolute, crashes are generally more a problem with software, not the OS, so it's hard to say one is "better" than the other in absolute terms.

Although I use OS X primarily, I have a Windows XP virtual machine always running that has never crashed in several years of use.

Whether you go Windows or OS X, if you want an improvement that will have dramatic differences, 1) Load up on RAM, 2) Get a SSDdrive. (difference will be phenomenal)

6. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

Thanks alot headrush, appreciqte your explanations,
    regards.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087042

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice