Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

about Memtest and how to determine memory problems

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  panoy 
#1 ·
Hi to all,

This is my first post here and glad to be a part of this community.

I am currently experiencing BSOD from time to time, although not frequently. I am able to detect that my memory is the main cause of this. I have 2 512 memory modules, and I have removed one module, which I detect is the faulty one.

Now, I bought a new one, 1 GB, and now my memory totals up to 1512 MB (thats 1 gb + 512 mb). But the BSOD keeps re-appearing again. But not that frequent. This 1gb of ram is from Kingston and the other 512 is a generic one. My motherboard manual also supports the Kingston module, but I can't still pinpoint the problem.

I am asking for advice on how to clearly detect memory problems. I also tried experimenting with the Memtest program, which I still have no idea on how to use it well.

http://www.memtest86.com/

I'll try to do some other tests, like swapping the two memory modules or by removing one and checking out how it will turn out.

thanks and god bless.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not having the specs for your computer, I cannot say this applies for certain, but many compters require matched pairs of memory stick. You now have 1x1GB stick and 1x512MB stick. Also, IMHO, its never a good idea to mix brands of memory.

Others may have more complete input on this question. I suggesting it a a possible cause.

BTW... Welcome to TSG

Raybro

#3 ·
To use memtest, you must first decided on what you want to download; ie file for floppy or bootable CD. I usually use the CD iso file. When you download the iso file, you must use a burning app like nero to make the CD. You cannot just copy the file to a CD and expect it to run. Once you make the CD, you simply put it in your CD drive and restart the system.

If memtest does not start, you will need to set the boot order in the bios to CD as first boot device; save settings and exit. Memtest will now run. I usually let it run for a min of 2hr. If there are no errors by then, your memory is probably OK.

With that said, mixing memory of different mfg, speed, timings, etc is just asking for problems. With the price of ddr2 so cheap today, I would really just pickup a matched set of 2gig [2X1gig] from a name brand like crucial, kingston, or corsair.

#4 ·
If there are errors from my memory when I finished the test that Memtest has done, does it mean that the memory is faulty? Is is understood then that it should be replaced and should not be used at all?

I have experience using a faulty mem module once, I happen to use it for a while, and it does seem OK when I use my PC, but there are just times that my PC is experiencing the BSOD.

BTW, I tried running a check on my 1gb mem and Memtest reports that there are no errors found, I assume that's its ok and will try to test the other generic 512mb modules.

Thanks

#5 ·
One error is too many. It must be error free if you want the system to be stable.

Next if memtest reports an error, it can also point at the memory controller on the board OR incorrect vdimm [ram voltage] You see vdimm causing errors with high performance ram that needs more voltage than standard ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.