1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

About Network Shared Folders

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shoan_ang, Dec 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shoan_ang

shoan_ang Thread Starter

I recently purchased a new Desktop PC while i have a notebook. And since i moved in, i signup for Yahoo DSL come with HomePortal 100W DSL Router modem.
    My question is about the networking. I had now set up to let all 5 people in my house to run internet sharing. And since i have 2 computers, i wonder how can i access this 2 computers with administration access. I read the mircrosoft site, and i turned off the simply sharing options. But i still can't figure it out. All i want to do is access the drive that i keep all the files, but not the system drive.
    All I want is to let these 2 computers to access each other and have full control, and want to prohibit my friends on network to see my shared folders and access them. I am now in the same workgroup named "Home".

Computers setup:
    P4 2.8Mhz ( PC) P4 2.2Mhz (Laptop)
    WinXP Pro WinXP Pro
    512Mb DDR 256MB

Anything else you need to know, just tell me. I hope to resolve this thing soon. Thanks a lot !

2. Corvus

Corvus

are you running ntfs file system, or fat32

3. Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

the file system doesn't matter. All you need to do is Right Click on what you want to share, and set the premissions for each share. If you want your account to have total access, grant yourself that access for your specific account. And don't grant anyone else any type of premission. You won't be hiding the shared resource but you will prevent any one else from getting to it, that doesn't have your logon and password

4. shoan_ang

shoan_ang Thread Starter

i m using NTFS now ....
    for spiritwalker, i add permisison, but i cannot find my another computer's name at there, or i should put NETWORK ??? Thanks !

5. PC_Wiz

PC_Wiz

Do you have a user account on your system for the people that need to access the share?
    If yes, you should be able grant access to the share by Adding the user account to the share.

6. shoan_ang

shoan_ang Thread Starter

i have 2 user with admin right... user1 n user2... another computer(called computerB) also hv 2 user, user2, and user1

ComputerA tried to add user2 into the permission, but user2 at ComputerB still cannot access the shared files. .... How does this things actually work??? last time with Win 98, it just set password and use... it's too complicated n stupid for WinXP !!!

Help me with this issue please...!!!

Thanks !

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/186888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice