? about new HDDs with old data on them!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aquaboy

Thread Starter
Joined
Dec 29, 2002
Messages
70
Hi guys,
Just before Xmas I purchased a new ihgh-spec PC from a well-known vendor with a good reputation. The PC came with 1TB SATA RAID 0 in the form fof 4 x Western Digital 250GB disks. Last week the system crashed, causing me to eventually lose all my data after trying everything possible not to, with help from here. Anyway, I decided to run a file recovery program I have to see if any or all of my data was retrievable.

What I discovered is, not only are my files on there, but there are several hundred GBs of other data, including thousands of porn pics and documents from the PC vendor themselves (invoices and letters to customers etc). This tells me that my hew HDDs were not new at all, but in fact had been used and simply formatted and resold, with the vendor knowing that 99.5% of people are never likely to use a file recovery program.

So, what I would like to know is:
1.Is this a common thing?
2 Has this happened to anyone here before?
3. What are my rights here? When I purchase a new PC, should I expect that all components are completely brand-new or am I just kidding myself?
4. Should I report the vendor for fraud?

If anyone has any experience here, or just advice and comments I would welcome them.

Cheers,
Aquaboy
 
Joined
Aug 19, 2003
Messages
236
Wow that is wild. I would like to know what company it is first off.

I would think by law that they would have to give all new parts unless it were labeled referbished. Then again I could be wrong, but something like that would make me very mad. I wouldnt know if it is common since I build my computers...
 
Joined
Dec 30, 2003
Messages
1,647
Don't know the laws in Sydney, but here in CA. a new PC is supposed to be just that. All new parts. It sounds like your vendor needed some larger HD's for himself and sold his older HD's as new. It is definitely fraud if he told you they were new. There should be dates on the hard drives as to when the manu. built them. You also got a warranty?? with the machine?? He should replace the drives free of charge with new ones at a minumum.
 

aquaboy

Thread Starter
Joined
Dec 29, 2002
Messages
70
mike5426 said:
Wow that is wild. I would like to know what company it is first off.
I don't think I can give their name yet, while I consider what I am going to do about it and how they respond. If I don't get satisfaction, then I certainly will.

mike5426 said:
I would think by law that they would have to give all new parts unless it were labeled referbished. Then again I could be wrong, but something like that would make me very mad.
It has me. I am livid. There were a couple of minor issues with it, but nothing to compare with this. I am even considering going to the police.


mike5426 said:
I wouldnt know if it is common since I build my computers...
Yeah, but the vast majority of people haven't got a clue and if this is going on........
 

aquaboy

Thread Starter
Joined
Dec 29, 2002
Messages
70
SacsTC said:
Don't know the laws in Sydney, but here in CA. a new PC is supposed to be just that. All new parts.
Same here, unless you willingly purchase a used PC, which this definitely was not the case.

SacsTC said:
It sounds like your vendor needed some larger HD's for himself and sold his older HD's as new. It is definitely fraud if he told you they were new. There should be dates on the hard drives as to when the manu. built them. You also got a warranty??
Yes, 12 months.


SacsTC said:
He should replace the drives free of charge with new ones at a minumum.
I'm also now wondering what else might be used in the system. How can I check?
 
Joined
Dec 30, 2003
Messages
1,647
The problem with checking build dates on parts is that they can sit in warehouses and in the shops for a long time before use.
 
Joined
Feb 5, 2002
Messages
67
I was just wondering what tool you used to recover the files. If you could let me know that would be great
 

aquaboy

Thread Starter
Joined
Dec 29, 2002
Messages
70
Maglook said:
I was just wondering what tool you used to recover the files. If you could let me know that would be great
I have two programs:
Recover My Files
R-Studio

Both are very good. There are plenty of others and I'm sure people here can give good examples, but these are easy to use and work well. I'm just pissed that I had to use them in the first place, and to find out that the disks are already used has made me soooooo mad.
 

aquaboy

Thread Starter
Joined
Dec 29, 2002
Messages
70
SacsTC said:
The problem with checking build dates on parts is that they can sit in warehouses and in the shops for a long time before use.
But I can still prove that the disks had been used before they were sold to me, so that should be good enough right?
 
Joined
Dec 30, 2003
Messages
1,647
What I discovered is, not only are my files on there, but there are several hundred GBs of other data, including thousands of porn pics and documents from the PC vendor themselves (invoices and letters to customers etc).
If you can show them files that actually belonged to them that are recovered from the drives they sold you, I would say you've got them pretty good. Problem is, it holds you up as far as fixing your machine, because they may want to see the drives and if you reformat and re-install, you've lost any proof.
 

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Joined
Oct 19, 2002
Messages
106,429
Perhaps you could offer to publish some of their private corporate documents on the web if they don't give you satisfaction. :)
 
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Messages
5,520
Howdy folks...

aquaboy...

including thousands of porn pics and documents from the PC vendor themselves (invoices and letters to customers etc).
If it were my pc I would at least recover the files from the vendor, and take screen shots from the recover program that shows the files, then check my invoice and make sure that it doesn't say "Reconditioned hard drives", and then confront the vendor with the files and demand new hard drives...

If you don't get any joy from the vendor, consult whatever is the equivalent of the Better Business Bureau that you have...
 

aquaboy

Thread Starter
Joined
Dec 29, 2002
Messages
70
SacsTC said:
If you can show them files that actually belonged to them that are recovered from the drives they sold you, I would say you've got them pretty good. Problem is, it holds you up as far as fixing your machine, because they may want to see the drives and if you reformat and re-install, you've lost any proof.
yeah, I know, but I don't intend to reformat and fix it. I intend to return it to them with the proof on another disk. I have already retrieved it and backed it up to another system, so even if they do take the drives and shred them so hard they're clean I have the proof elsewhere. Obviously I had to reinstall Windows and the file recovery program that I have to see what could be retrieved, but once I saw all the "other" stuff I haven't installed anything else.
 

aquaboy

Thread Starter
Joined
Dec 29, 2002
Messages
70
JohnWill said:
Perhaps you could offer to publish some of their private corporate documents on the web if they don't give you satisfaction. :)
Not a bad idea, but I will certainly "Out" them if I don't get satisfaction.
 
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Top