1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

??? about OEM disks.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hrlow2, Jul 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hrlow2

hrlow2 Thread Starter

I have always heard that an OEM disk can only be active on 1 machine only.
    I have purchased 2 identical machines from the same company off of eBay.Both were refurbs and exactly identical(model,cpu,OS).I call them my twins.
    Didn't realize how accurate that was until I looked at the System Information for Windows reports.The OS code key AND serial numbers match exactly.
    Machines were purchased 2 1/2 weeks apart.Both were refurbed prior to sale and shipped with XP Pro pre-installed.
    Seller has an eBay rating of 99.8% with over 11k in sales.At the time of my second purchase, they still had more than 90 identical units on sale.All were listed as being "off-lease" units.
    No telling how many other machines are running with the same key code.

2. bbearren

bbearren

If they are off-lease then they are likely to have XP Enterprise edition installed. Enterprise edition uses a common key for gobs of computers, so there is nothing unusual in that.

Check the COA stickers on the bottom of the laptops to see if they are the same.

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 Thread Starter

No COA sticker on top,sides,front,back,or bottom.

4. bbearren

bbearren

Caveat emptor. With Enterprise OEM, I would expect the keys to be identical, but not the serial numbers of the machines.

If you ever get into serious Windows trouble, you're probably looking at buying a Retail XP Pro CD. With OEM, it is not the disk that is licensed, it is the machine. Without a COA, you might not be able to do a reinstall even if you were able to borrow an Enterprise OEM CD.

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 Thread Starter

to bbearren
    It is the Windows Product ID number and Key Code numbers that match.
    Machines have different serial numbers.

6. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

OEM licenses allow for installation on X number of machines.

7. vicks

vicks

I think that if you will d/l and run www.belarc.com. ( It is a small free program) that will give you the model numbers, license numbers, key numbers and serial numbers of everything on your computer. I keep a hard copy of this for each of our computers, so I will have it for reference when something happens.
    Any way, this will let you know if the same OEM number is on each of your machines.
    Vicks

8. bbearren

bbearren

I was going by this:

9. bbearren

bbearren

Incorrect. The OEM license is for the machine AND installed software; the combination. It doesn't matter which OEM installation CD the software comes from, as long as it is the same version licensed to the machine--Home for Home, Pro for Pro, etc. When the machine dies, the license dies with it. Replacement of non-functioning hardware is allowed, but not upgrades (unless no direct replacement exists).

An OEM installation CD can be used on any number of machines many times, but the Product Key that must be used for the installation is the COA sticker on the machine. OEM CD's don't usually have a Product Key printed anywhere on the CD.

10. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

I was talking about someone buying an OEM Licensed version of OS which is what manufacturers purchase, not what is installed on machine.

They buy one disc, install on many machines.

11. bbearren

bbearren

Yes, indeed, and for each and every machine upon which that one OEM CD is used for installation there must be a COA purchased and licensed to the machine in order for the installation to be legitimate.

Without the individual COA's on each individual machine, the installations are illegal. The software cannot be legally used on the individual machine without an individual COA licensed to the machine/software combination.

That's what I was talking about.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/840633

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice