1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

About parity and ECC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Book, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Book

Book Thread Starter

Hey!

I've been checking on manufacturer's sites for memories trying to figure out if they use parity/ECC or not. When saying:
    Parity:Unbuffered
    does that mean that it's using no parity?

Thanks!

2. Book

Book Thread Starter

Doesn't anybody have parity memory?

3. brite750

brite750

4. brite750

brite750

Parity RAM may also have worse memory access performance than non-parity RAM.
    normal users would not want this hit, this is to protect data integrity

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Ecc ram is generally a bit slower though I doubt anyone can see that. My main issue with ecc ram is it is more expensive and those I have had have corrupted quite often and required replacement which has never happened to me with non ecc ram.

6. Book

Book Thread Starter

I don't understand how people seem not to care about parity or ECC. I certainly would buy either type of RAM, though the problem is that I don't seem to be able to find any. A mushkin kit of memory that I was considering writes:
    Parity: Unbuffered
    in the manufacturer's site, and I suppose that means that it uses no parity bit? Can you tell me which company sells ECC RAM modules?

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

They all sell ecc ram, but it comes and goes in popularity.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/677778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice