1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

about ports and stuff

Discussion in 'Networking' started by drakon3rd, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drakon3rd

drakon3rd Thread Starter

ok i have a problem i guess??? i forward the ports from my router site 192.168.1.1 8484-8484 and 8888-8888 , also in the windows firewall but when i go to this http://canyouseeme.org/ it says

Error: I could not see your service on 72.75.26.60 on port (8484)
    Reason: Connection timed out

tired 4 both of the ports and get same error i guess i have to access my verizon dsl ip? i guess and add it there but i dunno how when i put 192.168.1.1 its always take me to linksys router one, so do i need to port it from verizon dsl thing too? if so how? and if not y isnt the canyouseeme.org cant catchin it? thx

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If your DSL modem is also a router, yes, you need to set up the port forward rules on it. The better alternative is to configure the router/modem into bridge mode so it only functions as a modem. I assume this is a Westell.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The EXACT make/model of the modem AND the router would be a big help here.

4. drakon3rd

drakon3rd Thread Starter

its a westell 2200 and i forwarded the following Port 1
    Protocol: TCP
    Global Port(s): 8484
    Base Host Port: 8484

Port 2
    Protocol: UDP
    Global Port(s): 8484
    Base Host Port: 8484

Port 3
    Protocol: TCP
    Global Port(s): 8888
    Base Host Port: 8888

Port 4
    Protocol: UDP
    Global Port(s): 8888
    Base Host Port: 8888

n still wont work at the website the canyousee.org site and my router is linksys wrt54g(i already forward the port my there but that doesnt work either)
    also now im just connect to my dsl directly and i foward the ports but it still not work? was wonder if it possible to once i open the ports it open all thoses ports for my wireless connection to other computer or i have to add that to it?

5. JohnWill

What are you really trying to do here? Have you tried a port scan using ShieldsUp for those ports? What does it return?

6. drakon3rd

drakon3rd Thread Starter

step 1
    im tryin to open those ports 8484 n 8888 the first thing i did was open the port from my verizon dsl(westtell 2200) place 192.168.1.1. but once i did that when i go to canyousee.org it wont show up?
    step 2
    but if it did work then i would go to my wireless router linksys wrt54g(go to 192.168.1.1) n this time it would be open ports from my router.. but when i guess i cant get passed step 1?
    o i want to open these ports for a private game server

7. JohnWill

Now we're making progress. I recommend you configure the 2200 in bridge mode to eliminate the confusion over port configurations. Then you'll have a straight through connection to the router and it'll be a lot easier to get port forwarding to work.

8. drakon3rd

drakon3rd Thread Starter

when i config it to bridge mode do i also need to able PPPoE? if not then i dont get any connection... so i think yes.. ok once i make it bridge mode do i deleted the port fowarding thing i have? or just leave them there for verizon dsl one? also when i connect to router ip thing do i need to enable DHCP Server:? disable? also is it possible for port foward would work for all my IP address? meaning for 2 computers? or i have to add both of them manually?

9. JohnWill

Yes, you need to configure the router for a PPPoE connection instead of a dynamic one in the WAN section. The port forwards are not significant, bridge mode bypasses the entire routing function. You'll have to configure your Linksys router for port forwarding for the desired ports. Note that you can't port forward the same port to two computers, you have to pick one that gets a specific port.

10. drakon3rd

drakon3rd Thread Starter

ok question if i forward the port for the computer at is wireless n dont forward the port for the one with the router then how should i open port for that(w/router computer) computer? just from firewall?

11. JohnWill

Can you say that in English? :confused:

You simply have to port forward the desired address in the router to the IP address of the connection you're using. If your router doesn't support DHCP reservations, assign a static IP address to the machine in question. For the firewall, open the port for access on the machine in question.

12. drakon3rd

drakon3rd Thread Starter

ok nvm that here is my question i already did the bridge thing u said so at my router(linksys wrt54g) in basic setup in Internet Connection Type do i change it to auto cofig dhcp or let be at PPPoE? this is how it look in router setting

Internet Connection Type PPoE

Server Settings (DHCP) DHCP Server: Enable Disable
    Starting IP Address: 192.168.1. 100
    Maximum Number of DHCP Users:
    Client Lease Time: minutes (0 means one day)
    Static DNS 1: . . .
    Static DNS 2: . . .
    Static DNS 3: . . .
    WINS: . . .

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!