About SLi

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kame_sanjo

Well, im thinkin about gettin another card for SLi and do i need like a duplicate card? or can it be the same everything but that N52X number?

It is my understanding that with the latest forceware drivers that you don't need exact indentical cards to run SLI. But you still need matching card specs. Meaning you need another 256mb 7800gtx.

Can't imagine why you would even think of needing to. A single 7800gtx should run all games on high at higher resolutions.

kame_sanjo

cool cool, cuz on newegg my exact serial number or model number isnt on sale... but they have cards with the same specs =) and cheaper! hehe, ive been lookin around... and i keep getting mixed results about if SLi is worth it or not? What do you guys think?

At the CES convention they had FEAR with all the settings really high if not maxed, and it ran smooth with dual 7800's... and even had battle for middle earth 2 playing on Quad Sli Setup... yes i said it... 4 video cards.

oh oh and another thing... i have a 500W power supply powering all that stuff you see (got new ram though) is that gonna be enough power for my extra vcard?

crjdriver

It used to be that you needed identical cards, now you can have cards that do not have the same bios. I really would use two cards of the same mfg; you do not want two cards of different memory, etc.

IMO sli is really just a gimmick. The technology is not new; the old voodoo5500s used two gpus on one card.

Hi,

There is information out there that you don't need identical cards and that may be true. However, if you look at the motherboard manufacturer's information from say ASUS, it states right in the user manual that you need to use "identical" cards. What I am saying is that if something does not work with cards in an ASUS board, do you think that ASUS is going to help if you don't have "identical" cards? Don't think so.

I would not take the risk if you are going to put money in a sli setup. I would highly advise that you use identical cards. This is written by a user who has and uses an sli board presently.

Note: I have edited the duplicate posts that happened when I was having connection problems. I did not know until I revisited the forum that the mulitple postings were there. Sorry!

kame_sanjo

Well i think it would benefit me since i play my games on this 19" lcd and need to have the resolution at lik 1280 x 960+. As ive read, the sli setup really excels at the high resolutions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online