1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

about to install new processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by catlady13, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. catlady13

catlady13 Thread Starter

HI, I want to put a faster processor in the pc I have been fixing up for my brother. I have built pcs before but have never swapped a processor. I would really LOVE not to have to reformat and reinstall windows because it has onboard sound and video and I don't have the motherboard cd for drivers. Is there any way I can do this ? If so could someone please tell me how? I finally got the thing working fairly well and all I want it to do is run solitaire and videos burned in divx format so I am upgrading the processor ( hopefully) to 700 mhz from 466 and shall put in a separate ( eventually if the processor works ) video card. I tried setting the onboard video to max (64megs) but that didn't seem to help. It does NOT have a setting to disable onboard video but it does have an init first( in the bios) .. agp or pci .. so I believe if I get a pci video card I can set that to look for the pci card first?
    Thank you for your help , now and in the past ....

2. parkerti

parkerti

Hello,

I think, for what you want to do, the new video card (PCI) about 64MB would be $$ better spent than a processor. Might even work without replacing the processor. No way to tell without a lot more details, but onboard video with shared RAM in an older system probably is the culprit for video problems. A PCI video card with 64 MB or better can be had for not much $$ these days. Good luck. BTW, if the MB is able to handle the Processor you want to install, you should be able to just remove and replace - observing all the usual static and electrical precations. W98 and above should recognize the new one (as should your bios) . If your bios gives you trouble, you can either update it or go back to the old processor. For the video card, skip the bios settings if you can't disable the onboard video there. Just go into the hardware settings under system in control panel and disable the onboard video there before you turn your system off for the upgrade. There should be instructions on how to do this in with the video card if you buy it new.
    Tim

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Going from a 466 to a 700Mhz should be noticeable - if possible. You may need to change some settings in the Bios like the FSB or Mulitiplier to suit the new CPU or this may need to be done using jumpers on the mainboard. You may also be able to disable the onboard video using jumpers too.

A faster CPU is more important for Divx playback then a 64Mb card, and solitare will pretty much run on anything.

http://www.divx.com/divx/system_requirements.php

Do you know the motherboard model? Use Aida32 to find out: http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32

4. suesman

suesman

Also cramming it with as much system memory it can take will make a noticable difference in video playback.

5. catlady13

catlady13 Thread Starter

I do have the manual for the motherboard. It is a P6STP-FL board . I did up the ram somewhat already from 64 megs to 256 megs with a noticeable difference in how it booted and up the allotted ram for video to 64 megs but it didn't seem to make a difference in playing the divx movie even when I put it right on the hard drive instead of playing it from the cdrom. I have checked the motherboard book and it seems to say I can put in up to a 733 mhz processor, but I've had several pc tech friends check it and it I think it was first written in Swahili and translated as it seems to say different things in different areas.
    And big ouch you guys.. one says faster cpu and the other says better video card.. LOL anybody else care to vote on that one ?
    PS is there anyway to attach the pdf file for the motherboard book here and get another opinion on this ?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    ECS CPU support: http://www.ecsusa.com/support/table_p3.html

Not very good site, but I guess it means the board should be able to support any FC-PGA CPU on the 100 or 133Mhz FSB up to 1Ghz. You would need to update the BIOS to support some of the newer P3 CPU's.

Here's a link to a manual: http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/manual_p6s.html

Now in the manual it lists the 750 as the highest supported CPU.

Then there's this: http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/ecs/P6STP-FL.htm - And I think thats correct.

The only problem you may encounter upgrading the CPU is that if you have slower RAM. For example if the RAM you have now is PC66 or PC100, it will not work the 1Ghz 133MHz FSB Pentium III CPU because the RAM will be too slow.

Now, between a new CPU , maybe a video card, and more RAM, you might be looking at a similiar cost to a lower end AMD XP based system, where you can re-use stuff like like your case and drives.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173085

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice