1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

About to install Vista? Try this first!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Compiler, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Compiler

Compiler Thread Starter

If you really MUST install Vista before its first Service Pak (THink of it as Windows OS 6.0 and you need to wait for 6.1) in about a year.... consider these things.

1 - Wait perhaps another month - perhaps some of these driver issues are worked out. Those with GF 6, 7 and 8 cards are having problems.... same with ATI. Just those with onboard video seem to go through little pain... oh wow.

2 - Dig up an old 20GB HD thats not doing anything - drop that in, unplug your DRIVE (Data & power) - and install on a TEST Hard drive. Don't activate/register vista ASAP - you need to make sure it all works... Unlike XP which sucks up about 2GB installed, vista will eat about 11gb!!! So a 15GB will barely cut it, a 20GB or larger is recommened.

Reverting back to XP will most likely require a complete clean reinstall of XP and coping back your files.

3 - Consider adding MODS to XP for that vista look: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1089/make_xp_look_like_vista_longhorn_free

:eek:

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

3. Compiler

Compiler Thread Starter

The advisor is not always accurate... And during the install process, like before it starts - it should also confirm issues.

A lot of silly issues with vista could have been fixed months ago - as such complaints were talked about in articles before RTM... such as the UAC issues.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Or install it on another computer

Or have a partition just for the OS. Then you can image the previous OS like XP, install Vista, and create an image for that. Typically restores take only a few minutes to switch.

Not sure I would want to install Vista on a 20 gig drive. For starters a little small. And most of those old drives were slow 5400 rpm ones. If you do decide to do that, at least make sure it spins at 7200.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I don't recall my Vista Install sucking up 11Gb's.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Not sure what others have. My Windows directory shows something just over 7 gigs. Can't check from a clean install at this point how much is in the Program Files directory to see what it puts there from the beginning.

7. jmwills

jmwills

Mine is about 7.8 gigs.

8. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Mine "sucks up" about 7gigs. With ALL my software installwed (about 30 programs. it goes up to 12 gigs. So I think 20 gigs would be a comfortable limit for hard disk space for vista. I use a medium grade ATI card (9600 pro 256) which runs Vista without any discernable problems, I am running Aero, for what it is worth. You can install Vista on a separate partition, and still run it as your primary or secondary dsktop. It would not require a reinstall of XP in those circumstances. I am running Vista (retail-Ultimate) as my primary OS. I am having no driver problems. All my previous XP software, with the help, in 4 cases, of the compatiblity wizard, are running without issue.

9. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

For the record, Vista requires 40GB of disk space to install, although Ultimate doesn't consume more than 15.

Courtney sends....

P.S. I am running Vista now, and, as heavy as I am with computers, I haven't had a problem with crashes on Vista yet.

10. jmwills

jmwills

Not even close, or I guess my 30 gig partition for the Root is an aboration.

11. ballpark570

ballpark570

I was teetering precipitously close to the edge of the Vista abyss so I headed off in the direction of the nearest liquor store and purchased a temporary deferral against the madness I was contemplating.

After washing down some vicodin with some jagermeister, I no longer felt the urge to do harm to a perfectly good PC

12. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

As I said, my clean install of Ultimate takes about 7gbs. I believe Microsoft recommend 40 Gbs of HD space to successfully run the program, not to install it. I have , like Jimwills, run earlier Beta's on considerably less than that, without any obvious problems.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I think the concern regarding how much space Vista uses is from the first post - "vista will eat about 11gb!!!"

14. Compiler

Compiler Thread Starter

When I said 20GB ID - that is for TESTING... a TESTING HD to see what problems may pop up.

15. TechB

TechB

40 GB is the requirement for a computer to be labled Vista Premium Ready. I have successfully installed Vista many times on a 20 GB hard drive. 20 GB is enough for a clean install but not an upgrade.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice