About to install Windows XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Trooper_fan

I'm about to install Windows XP on an 80GB hard drive and would like to know what partitions are and if I need them at all.

If I need them, what for and how large should they be?

Additionally in a couple of weeks I will be getting a 200GB hard drive which I will be installing as the Master drive and the 80GB one will be the slave, will I need to do anything to the 80GB one or can I leave it as it is and switch between the two drives or do I have to do anything special?

Again, do I need to put partitions on the 200GB drive and if so how big?

Partitioning is very much a matter of personal preference. I like to set a partition of 8 - 10 Gig for the Operating System and APplications . . use the balance of the drive for data.

If you want the 200 Gig drive to be the master you will have to install XP on that drive . . XP will boot from the Master drive. Probably makes more sense to leave the 80 Gig as master, set the 200 as slave and use it for data/storage.

Trooper_fan

simpswr said:
Partitioning is very much a matter of personal preference. I like to set a partition of 8 - 10 Gig for the Operating System and APplications . . use the balance of the drive for data.

If you want the 200 Gig drive to be the master you will have to install XP on that drive . . XP will boot from the Master drive. Probably makes more sense to leave the 80 Gig as master, set the 200 as slave and use it for data/storage.
Ok, so say I set a 10gig partition on the drive for the operating system and applications and I want to install Dreamweaver and Photoshop, do I install them on the 10gig partition and then save whatever I make to the other part?

I guess I'm just not sure what the point of them being partitioned is? :eek:

"I guess I'm just not sure what the point of them being partitioned is?"

Ok Trooper lets put it in really simple terms and please don't think I'm trying to be condescending

Imagine you have an upright filing cabinet.
In the bottom drawer sits the operating system that never gets touched. [C]

The upper drawers hold your other files, ie; Dream and PhotoShop along with misc other stuff. [E], [F] etc.
The bottom drawer makes it all work without you having to resort to poking about in C.
Save all your stuff to these drives, E, F and so on.
Bear in mind though, that should C fail all could be gone, regardless of how many partitions you have.
Wolfey

The reasons I partition and put the Operating System and Applications on one partition and the data on another are:

In the event a reinstallation is required, the data remains untouched and easily accessed. You will have to reintstall the applications

Easy to back up the data . .just copy the entire disc to somewhere else.

Disk Maintence ( Cleanup, defraging etc . . ) takes much less time on a 10 gig partition than on a 100 Gig.

However . . If the drive suffers a mechanical failure, all the data will be lost .. partitiones or not.

The decision is very much a personal preference issue . .

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online