1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

About to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit W7 Pro - looking for opinions..

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mr Davo, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr Davo

Mr Davo Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

I have an HP laptop with Windows 7 32Bit Professional installed. I want to 'upgrade' to the 64Bit version, but I also understand that doing so is not a straight forward process.

I am wondering if I can take the following approach to the upgrade?

• Backup all (relevant) files using 'Backup & Restore' (Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Backup and Restore)
    • Install a new hard drive
    • Using the HP Recovery Disks restore the computer to factory defaults (a 64Bit recovery disk was provided)
    • Perform Windows Updates
    • Reinstall required software (business programs, etc)
    • Restore the files originally backed up using 'Backup & Restore'
    My primary goal is to ensure no data loss. However my secondary goal is to perform the upgrade as quickly as possible. I understand that a new hard drive is not required, however I intend on installing an SSD!

If anybody has any suggestions regarding issues that they can see with my proposed method, or if you know of a better / quicker way can you please share?

Kind Regards,

Davo

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I have never had any good success in the use of the "Backup and Restore" that comes with Windows.

Each Windows version has it's own format and the file can not be used with most other versions.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Then, as Dave indicated, don't rely on Microsoft program(s). Backup by simply copying files/folders or using some other utility that is far more likely to work when you need it to recover the data.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    What is your reasoning behind dumping the 32 bit for the 64 bit?

I have four Windows 7 computers in the house. Two came with 64 bit installed and since the other two were upgraded from XP, they run 32 bit.
    All the computers have 4GB of RAM and truthfully the only reason one might be slower or faster is because of the hardware. It has nothing to do with Windows being 32 bit or 64 bit.

5. Riverglen

Riverglen

First Name:
    Larry
    I'll second that thought. I have an Acer laptop that I downgraded from the original 64 bit Win-7 home premium to the 32 bit version. I have several 16 bit programs that are essential to me, and the 64 bit version won't run them. They run fine in the 32 bit version. The machine is unremarkable and has 4 GB of ram installed. It has all the performance I'm likely to ever need.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You haven't described that HP laptop, so we don't know if a switch from Windows 7 32-bit to 64-bit is possible or feasible.

What model name and model number is that HP laptop, and what's the part/product number(P/N) on it?

----------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice