1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Absolute Humdinger

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Richard Adams, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Richard Adams

Richard Adams Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I'm on of these people that leaves my computer on over night. Every morning, I expect to come down and switch my computer screens on to see my beautiful desktop as always. But this morning, no such thing happened. Instead, I was horrified to see this screen:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
    Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30

The thing is, I've searched a lot about this issue and everyone seems to have caused it by installing a new motherboard, a new this or that. I did nothing to provoke this... Nothing!

I have tried booting via all methods above, as well as the CD to find that none of them work. I've tried repairing the installation... it just freezes. Is my only option left to do a complete wipe of my hard disk and installation of XP?

Please say there's another way!

Any help offered is much appreciated.

Richard.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Try re-seating the memory and Video Card and blowing the slots out........

3. Richard Adams

Richard Adams Thread Starter

Hey bonk,

Thanks for the suggestion. After posting this message I spoke to a friend who suggested a similar fix. I've tried it, but no dice.

Any other suggestions are greatly welcomed.

Richard.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Try removing or shortening out using the jumpers on the board the Cmos battery for a couple of minutes

5. bonk

bonk Banned

If no dice remove everything hooked up to the PC except the monitor....remove everything off the board except the video card, memory and main hard drive and see if it starts up.

If that doesn't work try a repair install if you have the full operating system on CD

Here's a link if you need it for Repair Install

How to Repair Install XP

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543402

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice