1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

abt hdd cooling, normal temp's etc.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WebMyster, Dec 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WebMyster

WebMyster Thread Starter

i have HDD temperature pro. and it detects my hdd temp ... abt 40-45 as i start the comp, and after its on for a while, (not idle) 50-55... celsius

i wanna know whether this is normal..

another question, i just installed two 80mm case fans which r fitted on the back of my casing, it sux air outta the casing.
    one prob is.,. there isnt a proper place for the air to really come in ! :rolleyes: for the moment, i have removed the extra bay covers for air to flow in, but its **** ugly like that :p so is it ok if i have just those two fans sucking air out ?

i have a power supply fan, and the cpu fan in addition.

thanks -
    TheWebMyster

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    What brand and model case do you have? Usually there is a place on the front side of the case iff you look from the inside that has a place to mount a fan. This can usually be found somewhere in the bottom half of the front of the case there will usually be some holes punched or a grill looking area.

3. WebMyster

WebMyster Thread Starter

****, this is the thrid time im typing this :S cookies suck :S lol

well... no, my casing doesnt have a space/opening for a fan in the front. I tool 2 pics of my casing...

FRONT CASING -
    [​IMG]

INSIDE FANS -
    [​IMG]

Is my HDD temp ok ?
    how do i check my CPU temp thru BIOS ?

thanks
    TheWebMyster

4. WebMyster

WebMyster Thread Starter

lol.. my bad

FRONT CASING -
    [​IMG]

INSIDE FANS -
    [​IMG]

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I don't see your pics

6. WebMyster

WebMyster Thread Starter

i know .. figuring it out... gimme a few mins

7. WebMyster

WebMyster Thread Starter

wtf lol.... .JPG not .jpg :S

FRONT -
    [​IMG]

INSIDE FANS -
    [​IMG]

ah this shold work :)

8. Hootnholler

Hootnholler

If there is a fan on the front, it will be under the floppy drive...

If not, don't forget that your power supply is drawing air in through it's fan. What you have setup is not really normal or readily suggested for cooling, but keep an eye on your temps, you are probably fine.

The most suggested way is to have a fan in the front, on the bottom, pulling cool air in, and a fan under the power supply on the back, drawing air out. It's the amount of air passing over the cpu and video card that helps keep the temps down. This setup maximizes air flow.

The only downfall to your current setup, is you are pulling in the hot exhausted air through your power supply. The air is being sucked out of the case by the 2 80 mm fans, and that same air is being pulled back in by the psu, also, possibly, overheating it.

The only other quick option I can think of is add a blowhole to the top, pulling out, and reverse your fans on the back...

Hoot

9. WebMyster

WebMyster Thread Starter

my psu fan in blowing out too ! is that not right? i got my pc that way!

10. Hootnholler

Hootnholler

Sorry, my bad. The psu fan is to blow out. Been a long week at work, please forgive...

But, to try another route, if the psu fan is blowing out (as it should be...) turn one of the other fans in, or both, and see what your temps are then. There's really no 'hard and fast' rules to cooling, just play a bit, and keep an eye on those temps. Most newer boards have mobo temp sensors, so you can just use the bios, let it idle for a little bit... Also put the case back together, this will make a huge difference (sometimes) on temps. Remember, the idea is 'airflow', not to create a vacuum in the case or try to blow it up.... ;)

Hoot

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The temperature you are talking about is high, converted that is 131 F. My Athlon XP 2500+ runs 25 c under moderate load and 38 c under the max load I have put it under.

Are you using the HSF unit that came with your processor? I can't tell too much by the photos but it looks like it. I would up grade that to a better unit.

Did you buy this computer pre-assembled or did you build it yourself?

As Hootenholler said, the front fan would be at least partially hidden in front of the floppy/harddrive bays. If there is no fan installed the mount area will still be in the same place. I am sure they are out there but I have never seen a case with out a mount for a front fan. And that goes back to earlier years of building 80386sx machines.

If you indeed do not have a place for a front fan you can buy a fan kit that mounts in a 5 1/4" drive bay. Though not the best solution it is better than nothing.

Give us a list of things like what mobo you have, what type video card, such as that.

12. voltec2002

voltec2002

I m goin to put 1 or two fans to my pc do it myself , what part of the motherboard i connect the fans. can put the fans lateral not behind, in the holes of the laterally .
    when i use the antivirus the cpu get hot said the msi pc alert
    to 75c 80c thats normal? how i can keep in 48c

1700 giga msi motherboard, 512 memories and 80 giga harddisk
    windows xp [email protected]

13. WebMyster

WebMyster Thread Starter

hootnholler - u r forgiven :p
    i shall try inverting the fans and get back to u... but wat is a good temp sensor? my motherboard doesnt have a temp sensor

What did u mean by 'put the case back together' ? i keep my case closed after i installed the fans, only the empty drive bay area covers have been removed to let air in (look at pic) should i put the covers back on? wont that obstruct intake of air ?

dustyjay -
    this temperature is a 28-32 room temperature, which is normal.
    when u meant 'high' do u mean high enuff to bust my hdd ? (that temp was for my hdd NOT for my CPU.. im clueless as to how to check CPU temp :rolleyes: )

what is a HSF :)? is it the CPU fan? well if it is, yes im using that.

i bought the computer assembled, but its not branded, parts from all over :p

nup, i dont have a fan mount in the front :S... any ideas other than the fan kit for the 5 1/4 area?

Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-8SR533P SiS-646-6A6IXG0VC-00 (Socket 478)

Processor
    Pentium 4 2400MHz (L1 cache: 8.00 Kb, L2 cache: 512.0 Kb) Ext.clock: 133 MHz

Video card -
    Radeon 7000 64mb, it has no fan, just heatsink.

another 2 cards - firewire card, network card, which i doubt create any heat?

14. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    My bad I thought you were saying those were your cpu temps. WHen you open your bios is there anything in there that says System Health? If there is that is where you can check your CPU temp. Unless you are overclocking your video I doubt that you are going to need a GPU cooling fan. You can probably get some one at a shop to mount a fan in your side panelfor you. I know several shops in my area do it. If you have that done though you have to be careful when you open up your case and disconnect the fan before moving the side panel too far.

for voltec, you can get teh kind of fans that have a 4 pin connector so you can connect it to your PSU Molex connectors

15. WebMyster

WebMyster Thread Starter

holy ****, my cpu temp is arnd 55-62c... thats high isnt it??

system temp is arnd 45c... hows that?

wats a good max cpu tem and system temp ?

btw... normal room temp is abt 28-32c

thanks
    TheWebMyster

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/188808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice