1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AC Adapter/Ethernet Issues (HP Laptop)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by snazzy127, Jun 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snazzy127

snazzy127 Thread Starter

hello!! Needed some help on what I believe are some related issues. I took it in for a free diagnostic at a local store and was told most likely I'll have to get my motherboard replaced - hoping it may not be so! I've done some troubleshooting on my own, so hopefully this will all make sense. Here's my long saga ...

I have an HP HDX16t laptop.

Problem 1 is I noticed first that even though my laptop was plugged in, it wasn't recognizing as so and was running on battery power. Since I have my laptop connected to a monitor, thankfully I minimally use the battery. I replaced both the battery and the power cord and that didn't seem to help resolve the recognition of the AC adapter issue. Right now with the new battery, it somehow is keeping the charge at 100% while plugged in, but isn't recognizing that it is and the blue light isn't showing up. I've tried checking again for the hardware and updating the driver, but the driver is up to date. According to the device manager, the device is running properly though (which may explain why I'm not draining the new battery, thank god!)

Problem 2 is that my Ethernet port isn't being recognized. I prefer a wired connection and when I plug in a cable that works on my work laptop, it isn't being recognized on my HP. My wireless ports are good though. I've tried setting up a new network and updating the drivers, but the Ethernet port/LAN network isn't recognized. I've read that at times when the computer is on battery power the Ethernet port is disabled - could this be the case?

Thinking it was a driver recognition issue with my Ethernet port, I was prepared to reinstall Windows - went to do so, but because it thinks its on battery power, it wouldn't let me.

I really do hope there is a software fix for my issues!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

Reema

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    What is the LAN port status in Device Manager? If it's recognized and the status is "ok", then it's likely it is faulty. Uninstall the port in Device Manager and reboot.

And as this is a laptop, ALL of the hardware is part of the motherboard. So pretty much any failure results in a motherboard replacement.

3. snazzy127

snazzy127 Thread Starter

Thanks Oddba11!

Checking my Device Manager and under Network Devices, I only see two WiFi and two Bluetooth listings for the ports available (Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network), Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI), Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN and Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter) - nothing for LAN. What does this mean? Any thoughts on the AC adapter issue?

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Devices that aren't listed, typically aren't being recognized by Windows. Which indicates the hardware is not connected properly or faulty.

As for the AC, you have eliminated the external parts, which leaves the "power supply" inside the laptop. And again, is part of the motherboard.

5. snazzy127

snazzy127 Thread Starter

Thanks again!

I updated my modem from Comcast today and when I checked the Device Manager again, for a split second it recognized the ethernet, but it had a yellow caution sign. I was able to get a bit more detail and there was an error code (I believe code 10) - does that mean anything? I tried updating the driver and it was up-to-date. Since it was able to recognize the ethernet port for a split second, is there a way to make it do it again?
    As for the AC adapter, do you pretty much think my motherboard is on its way out? No other options or things to try?

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Code 10 means the drivers aren't installed or installed properly. But lack of drivers will not cause the device to disappear from Device Manager. As previously noted, if the device is disappearing from Device Manager, there is a hardware fault (ie: the device is faulty).

Windows codes: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

As for the power, you've already eliminated the external hardware. Which leaves an internal issue. I don't believe drivers or software would affect charging. The AC or battery switch is a mechanical/electronic function of the power chipset. Laptops aren't my specialty, but based on there being two apparent hardware issues, I tend to agree with the tech that actually already inspected it.

7. snazzy127

snazzy127 Thread Starter

hello again!

Okay, that's what I was afraid of - looking like it indeed is an internal hardware issue. The decision now is do I get it fixed or get a new laptop. Had thought if there may be a glimmer of hope in fixing it myself.
    Thanks again so much for your help!

8. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Based on the age of the laptop, I'd say get a new one. Even a new budget model will likely be much faster.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1100943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice