1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved ac adapter power type cannot be determined

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nottaken, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nottaken

nottaken Thread Starter

Hi everybody... my step daughter is having a problem with her dell precision m6300 laptop. Whenever she turns on her laptop, she gets the above message. The laptop will not go past this screen without the current plugged in. I also cannot access the bios menu or any setup menu or the desktop. It's just stuck on this one screen. I'm thinking it could just need a new charger but I'm not sure, any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I previously owned 2 Dell Precision M6300 WorkStation laptops, so I'm familiar with that message.
    If you use other than the 130W power adapter that came with it(especially if it's lesser wattage), that message will appear during startup.
    I'm guessing your stepdaughter is using a different power adapter with that laptop.
    There's a setting in the BIOS that allows you to turn off or disable that warning message.

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. nottaken

nottaken Thread Starter

The charger she has has been working find for a long time even though it may not be the original one. Also I already tried to enter the bios menu during boot up and it will not let me, it is just stuck on this screen.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    As soon as you press the power button to start that laptop, start tapping the F2 key without interruption until the BIOS setup screen appears.

--------------------------------------------------------------

5. nottaken

nottaken Thread Starter

That is actually exactly what I did... while do so the prompt "preparing go enter setup" appears, but it never enters the bios menu...

6. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    How about with the charger disconnected? Will it run on just the battery?

7. nottaken

nottaken Thread Starter

No it will not unfortunately...

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If the problem is a flat battery it should charge up if the charger is connected to the mains with the laptop itself switched off.

9. nottaken

nottaken Thread Starter

No, if the battery is dead it would not charge at all... since the battery could be dead, it could be the reason why it is stuck on that screen. I'm just trying to bypass that screen to find out for sure.

10. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    You can test that by removing the battery and attempting to run with the adapter only.

I've seen that message when the little pin inside the plug is broken/missing, too.

11. nottaken

nottaken Thread Starter

So if I remove the battery and the laptop turns on with the adapter plugged in, the battery needs to be replaced? Otherwise, the adapter needs to be replaced?

12. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    In a perfect world, yes. There is a possibility that there is a problem with the motherboard that prevents the battery from charging, or that prevents the adapter from being recognized.

13. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I said if it was flat not dead.

14. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    What's the difference? ;-) From all I can find, a "flat" battery is the British way of saying a "dead" battery.

15. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    No, a flat battery is a battery that has zero charge. a dead battery is a battery that will not charge at all.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1179502

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice