1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AC Adapter Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ~Candy~, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator Thread Starter

I have a Casio QV-5000SX Digital Camera that had a Radio Shack 3V - 6V AC Adapter (purchased separately) that finally stopped working.....I kept it set to the 6V size as that is what is listed on the bottom of the camera.

I recently purchased a Casio EXILIM digital camera and it just so happens that it has the same yellow 'pluggy thingy' (yes, those are my special words :p ) however, on the adapter part it reads 5.3 volts.

Now, I know you can blow things up by plugging a more powerful adapter into things.... :D (not speaking from experience of course) ;) but, will this adapter work, do any damage if I test it, or will it just not put out enough power for the camera?

2. moebius

moebius

ive studied electronics ar 10th grade
    what they told me is that if you put low voltage across ANY circuit, the only thing that is affected is efficiency. most electronic devices today are designed to function at +-0.75% their rated voltage as standard to safegaurd against surges, drops.

shouldnt be a problem

PS: voltage is not power, power is voltage into current. because electronic devices use so little current, upping or reducing the volts a bit doesnt add up 2 a huge diff

3. ~Candy~

Thanks for your reply......

Before I actually plug it in to test it, I'd like at least a second opinion :)

Really, I did blow up a hub by plugging in the wrong power supply....poof, and some smoke :eek:

4. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:) Greetings Candy,

You should not encounter any problems using the 5.3V adapter. I agree with Mobius that the tolerance range for the 5000SX should allow it to work. If anything, you might see a slight performance drop but I doubt it.

Take care.

Kilowatt

5. ~Candy~

Thanks KW, and thanks again Möbiús.....I'll plug it in and see if I can download some pictures :)

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Personally, I think you may be marginal with that supply. It really depends on the specifications of the camera and P/S. I think I'd just break down and buy the proper P/S for the camera. Is the $20 you'll save really worth risking screwing up your pictures, or worse the camera? Running under voltage puts a greater strain on the P/S and the camera if you're feeding a switching P/S in the camera. Do yourself and your camera a favor and use the correct P/S.

BTW, I studied Electronics on the way to an EE degree, and I "may" have some insights in this area. :D

7. ~Candy~

Alright john, I figured you'd find me.........I'll spring for another $20 adapter from Radio Shack :D Fact of the matter is, it's an old camera, and now with the new one.......probably won't be using this one too much anyway.........Can download off battery power.....but.......as you well know, they eat batteries like ceral anyway ;)

8. JohnWill

I keep that Radio Shack adapter around for a universal power source. It's come in handy a few times. I also bought a few of the more common sizes of adapters, sorry pluggy thingy's to make it more useful.

9. rmay635703

rmay635703

I have a cheap wally world 1amp variable connection/voltage PSU and it works fine with my digital camera.

I would recommend the Walmart unit as its cheap and comes with 12 connectors out of the box for under $20. (what does the radio shak one come with :)

Good Luck

10. ~Candy~

The Radio Shack has the little pluggy thingies ( :D) in different colors/sizes. What I like about it is, they are all separate. Some that I have seen at CompUSA and other stores, have them on a little round wheel thingy :D that is attached at all times......Also, the one at Radio Shack lets you choose 3V or 6V with a slider switch.

11. rmay635703

rmay635703

Yep separate plugs are nice :)

The walmart unit has separate plugs that you plug in, you can choose
    1.5v,3,4.5,6,7.5,9,10.5v, and 12v

along with the polarity, it was the best one I've found, unfortunately I would like to find a variable unit that could put out about 5amps and go up to about 24v in steps but I haven't found one like that yet (I have an old Mac powerbook I would like to test)

Cheers

12. JohnWill

Well, the Radio Shack model puts out 2.5A, and that's one of the things I liked about it. Of course, the Walmart one sure sounds cheap... :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice