1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AC causing computer with UPS to go to sleep?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SlickStretch, Jul 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SlickStretch

SlickStretch Thread Starter

Sometimes when the air conditioner in my window kicks on, my PC goes to sleep.

Why? The PC is using a UPS. (APC Back-UPS 600) Shouldn't it prevent this? PowerChute says it has switched over to battery a few times due to electrical noise. I'm assuming that's when the AC kicked on and the PC went to sleep. How can I prevent this? I can't plug one into a different circuit because the whole room is on the same circuit. I'm using Windows 10 Pro, is there maybe a power setting causing the system to go to sleep when switching to battery?

Thanks!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Go to Control Panel > Power Options. Click on your selected power plan. Then click on 'Change advanced power settings' . In the windows that then opens, find Battery at the bottom.

Most of the settings there deal with low or critical battery level. So maybe your battery needs a replacement if it is automatically going to hibernation when power is unplugged.

3. SlickStretch

There are no battery settings under advanced options. I believe PowerChute is handling battery settings.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Does it still happen with the UPS removed ?

5. SlickStretch

I haven't tried removing the UPS, but I don't remember this happening before installing the UPS.
    I've turned the electrical noise sensitivity down a little on the UPS. The AC has kicked on twice now without affecting my PC, so hopefully this has solved the issue.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice