1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved ac power adapter...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrsDaveGrohl, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrsDaveGrohl

MrsDaveGrohl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Terri
    I have a Toshiba Satellite C655D that needs a replacement ac power adapter, when I look it up it says I need:

Laptop AC Adapter: 19 Volts, 75 Watts, 3.95 Amps, 5.5mm x 2.5mm Connector

or

Laptop AC Adapter: 19 Volts, 65 Watts, 3.42 Amps, 5.5mm x 2.5mm Connector

Someone gave me a new, in the box AC Adapter with USB port, made by Insignia.
    The documentation says "converts 120v AC to 3-12v with 1300mA max output."

I realize this is a question not exactly hardware related, but I'm hoping someone knows the answer....I'm afraid to plug it in and fry my laptop
    ;)

2. Sponsor

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    I wouldn't try it, the voltage and current are both too low so it won't work even if it does fit in the laptop's power socket.

You need 19 volts and at least 3.42 amps which when multiplied together gives the power = 64.98 Watts so 65 is near enough.

You have to get the exact 19 volts but the current can be 3.42 Amps or more which is the same as 65 watts or more.
    (Also the connector must be 5.5 x 2.5 mm of course).

Have a look on Ebay, if you search for something like 'Toshiba Satellite C655D power adapter' you should find plenty.
    If you are unsure what to buy post a link to the adapter(s) you're considering in your next reply here.

4. MrsDaveGrohl

First Name:
    Terri
    Thanks for the reply!
    I did find one at Amazon, was hoping to remedy the situation sooner, but I'll have one Thursday....

Now, if you can find a way to stop a kid from using the laptop with the adapter side bent into the couch so it breaks off the connector, I'll be even more thrilled! This is the third one I've had to buy in the past two years...

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Hide the adapter and only let him/her use it until the battery runs out. ;)

6. MrsDaveGrohl

First Name:
    Terri
    Heh....yeah, there is that!
    Actually, I am just going to give this clunker to the kid, but if she breaks the connector again and has to replace, she's paying for it with sweat, elbow grease & indentured servitude around here...because she's only 11 and Taco Bell won't hire her
    ;)

Now, I am going to have to start another thread, I think? I need advice on my future pc/laptop purchase!!

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    In a possibly doomed attempt to teach her the value of things ? ;) What about McDonalds !?

A new thread is probably a good idea, people will then see a thread title that describes your new question.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1160192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice