1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Aca Candy.. I have a question for you!!!

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Whittibo, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Whittibo

Whittibo Thread Starter

I hope you can help!!
    My little girl just found two kittens in our back yard.. now mind you, I live on 10 acres.. so it's pretty remote out here. but these kittens let her come up and just pet them!!
    she ran up to tell us.. and they ran off in different directions.

We finally caught one, and the little guy just bit me! so I put it in the house.. and the other little one was coming to my daughter..but very upset because it wanted the first one. so we caught the second one too.. and it bit my daughter!!

here's the problem.. how do I know if these cats have rabies? I called the local vet, and they said I HAD to call Animal Control, the would be put into quarentine until it was found out if they have rabies or not.. if they don't to into quarentine, then my daughter and I have to get the rabies shots!

I doubt they have rabies.. I have had outdoor cats for the last 13 years, and never got their rabies shots.. so I highly doubt it's a problem.. but I dont think I want to take any chances either?!

what am I gonna do?????

2. clskrk

clskrk

I'm not Candy, but to be safe, let them take them for now, as they are strays appearing from somewhere, it's better safe than sorry. After ten days if they're ok, they're yours! :p

3. p51

p51

I know you are looking for Candy, but thought I would throw my 2 cents in too. I agree with clskrk. I think I would much rather take the strays in and have the held, and cared for, for 10 days, only to find out they don't have rabies, than to assume they don't, only to find out the hard way, that they did actually have the disease.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Well, as usual, Candy has a different opinon. I've been bitten by many little kittens and have been advised the same. Obviously, I can't make that decision for you. If the kittens look healthy, they usually are. They bit only out of fear.

And as you pretty much alluded to, I doubt too if they have rabies. From what I've heard the rabies shots (I think there are more than one) are pretty painful.

In any event, if you decide to keep them, first let them calm down, give them food and milk, but have someone sit and watch them from a close distance, eat and drink. That way you will build trust, as you aren't the giant trying to harm them. I usually have a blanket of some sort and I use a kitchen oven pad to pet them for the first few hours. When they either stop biting that, or relax, then I try to pet them. The ears first, then the nose, until they become used to it.

I wish I were there, I'd surely help :)

Hopefully this isn't too late, you know you could have PM'd or emailed me :(

5. Davec

Davec Gone but never forgotten

But no Spanking!!!!!

6. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

I really don't want to scare you, but Cat Fever (Cat Scratch Fever) is a great concern.

Watch for extremely rapid swelling around the bite area and also check lymph nodes for swelling.

My wife is a dog groomer and she was bit by a car that had cat fever.
    Cat Scratch Fever has a 30% fatality rate.
    My wife was in the hospital for 6 days.
    At one point they were considering amputating both arms and legs. a complete lymphectomy.

But, since she was treated immediately, the disease didn't get a good foothold.

Now, my wife in her profession has been bit literally hundreds of times over the past 30+ years in the business. So the chances that your girl has CSF is pretty slim.

Just watch that swelling. It won't be hard to notice. Myt wife's hand grew to the size of a softball (no exageration)

Good luck.

7. AlbertB

AlbertB

Surely a lesson to be learned here. Is all of this worth it for two feral kittens?

I won't scare you with details of the rabies shots, just pray you don't need them! No wild creature is worth this risk! Full stop!!!:mad:

8. ~Candy~

Was that a question for me Albert :D :D

BTW, I'm not trying to give medical advice. I'm just speaking from my own experiences and what I would do if it were me ;)

(fine print inserted here)

9. AlbertB

AlbertB

Nope, just a general RANT AC! :D No criticism of the medical aspect, just the logic of needing it in the first place.

I have a 13 year old kid, and I would NEVER risk his contracting something as horrific as this, not at any odds for any cute 'n cuddly lil' animal, no matter how pathetic and needy it seems.

You may of course think differently, but that would mystify me to the point of distraction. ;)

10. GoneForNow

GoneForNow

Well, the quickest way to determine if they have rabies or not is to shoot them then dissect the brains. A couple of seconds under the microscope will confirm rabies or not. Of course if you want to keep them as pets you'll have to have them stuffed. Am I being a little to harsh here?

11. GoneForNow

GoneForNow

P.S.-----That ^ was a joke.

12. AlbertB

AlbertB

After applying your suggestion and removing of the fear of rabies GB I would suggest the idea of stuffing them for use as family pets is coarse and vulgar. Shame on you! :mad:

Far better to stuff them with a nice thyme and rosemary forcemeat and roast them slowly in a cool oven until tender, then - enjoy! :)

Or am I being too Nouvelle cuisine here? ;)

13. AlbertB

AlbertB

P.S.------ ^ That wasn't!

14. ~Candy~

Lol, you two...............

But along the lines of your above post, the risk was already taken, and the consequence was the bite. Now what?

15. Aaron.W

Aaron.W

1. They were friendly to the child at one point.
    2. They were together and not trying to kill each other.
    3. It was possible for untrained people to catch them without killing or injuring them.
    4. No mention was made of the typical symptoms, therefore none were observed. They are distinctive and unmistakeably wierd.

They don't have rabies, period. ;]

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172153

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice