1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AcaCandy

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by TOF, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TOF

TOF Thread Starter

Why don't you do a web search for "UNOFFICIAL Windows98 Second Edition Service Pack 1.6.2 (Freeware)" and see how many other sites provide a link for this site. I suggest that you take a pill and settle down. (n)

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Take a pill for me too.. After enough pills, it's all good.

3. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

I suggest you take this elsewhere - this attitude is not needed here

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I really don't see where it violates forum rules.. It's only a collection of updates taken off the windows update site and made into a easy installer, but, I'll trust AcaCandy's judgement..

Had to check and see what this was all about.. Seems to be a waste of a post.. If AcaCandy says jump, forum members should say, "How high?". She is the leader of the Catwomen.. :)

5. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Ruh roh...

6. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

It must be me gettin' old I suppose,but I dont see the point of this thread at all,would someone please explain as Im curious ......

7. jbcalg

jbcalg

is this where we get the pills?
    :)

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

TOF, I don't know whether there is any violation of copyright rules in that "update" or not, but the matter should be discussed civilly.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Sorry for not seeing this sweet post before, but I've been in bed with the flu.

Another member reported the post.

After reading this disclaimer:

Disclaimer: Unofficial Windows98 SE Service Pack is an updater for the Windows98 Second Edition produced and licensed by Microsoft Corporation. Use of Unofficial Windows98 Service Pack may invalidate any guarantee and or warranty expressed in your Windows End User License Agreement(s). Use of Unofficial Windows98 Service Pack does not supersede or provide any remedy for any guarantee or warranty that may be invalidated. All liabilities from use or misuse of Unofficial Windows98 SE Service Pack lie with the End User. This software is provided "as-is," without any express or implied warranty. In no event shall the provider be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software. Any software in this pack is a copyrighted work of its respective owner(s). This pack that can be downloaded from this site is only of use to those who already own Windows98 Second Edition. Windows98 Second Edition is a trademark of Microsoft Corporation and are used by Author in a non-trademark, descriptive sense only.

I removed the link.

I'm certainly open to suggestions, I also got a pm from another member suggesting that it may be ok, and I posted a thread to the moderator section for review.

A PM from you would have been nice as well :rolleyes:

Instead of me doing a search to see if it's legal, why don't you contact Microsoft and ask them? That should put an end to the legality question, right? Oh, and just because "OTHER" sites provide a link to this, doesn't mean that we have to. You might want to look over the forum rules ;)

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Despite feeling like genuine crap today :( I caught a Microsoft person via instant messenger, I will post our conversation:

(MS WinClient MVP Lead) says:
    The disclaimer on the site looks pretty good. Its good that the packages are not touched themselves. The scary part is mostly whether you trust this updater to not mess up your system. Other updaters, I've seen will assess your system and always download the latest versions of the updates. This doesn't appear to do that.
    The only way we can be confident of this package legally is to open all referenced update and view their EULA to see if redistribution with another application.
    is allowed without special arrangement.
    BTW, based on the product's disclaimer, its not clear that an OEM version Win98 SE is covered.

AcaCandy says:
    Ok, I'm not sure if that answered my question or not
    AcaCandy says:
    just don't want any problems with MS on our site
    Yep...I am talking around it, aren't I.
    AcaCandy says:
    yes, you are
    AcaCandy says:
    Email the legal department
    I know that they will say...
    Their point of view would be to remove it...or face the risk that we don't like it....
    I'd get that ruling in three weeks
    AcaCandy says:
    Well, I'm going to stand by my earlier decision to remove it
    okay...I would totally understand that...and personally share your concern about it.

So, to sum things up, we have two issues here:

1 >> the legal complications

and

2 >> it's just BAD advice to recommend installing such an untested conglomeration of updates that may or may not work on an individual system. The OEM issue is little understood, but can be very signficant in some cases.

11. kath100

kath100

Better safe than sorry (y)
    Maybe you should take that pill and go back to bed.
    Get well soon :)

12. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

I`ll take a pill too please, this sinus infection is killing me.

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What kind of pills are we dispensing? It may be against forum policy, and I don't want to get our esteemed Administrator into trouble! :D:D:D

14. TOF

TOF Thread Starter

AcaCandy

Thank you for responding. Sorry if I didn't appear to be civilized in this post to you. My feathers got ruffled somewhat in the heat of the moment and it wasn't my intention to violate the rules and wasn't feeling that I did.

Get well. :)

15. jbcalg

jbcalg

a round of pills for everyone !
    :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice