1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access 07 form stopped working

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by lorij12, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lorij12

lorij12 Thread Starter

Hi. I have an Access 07 db with a tabbed form. the form has many option buttons and drop downs. Everything worked fine until now, i started with one table but decided to add a second. once i related the two based on an ID number (original table has auto number and second table i just created a number field and i typed in the 51 numbers to match the current count from table one). i started to add the new fields from the second table into one of the tabs and stopped when i realized that it now wouldn't allow me to add new records. that was the first problem, the second problems occurred when i decided to go back to the way it was before the table/relationship addition and i deleted the newly added fields and removed the relationship. basically going back to the way it was before the table addition.

NOW my form does not work at all. i can not click on any options or populate any fields. i've tried to compact and repair and that did not help. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions, i'm at a lose...
    thanks!

2. OBP

OBP

Check the Record Source of the Form and ensure it is using the original Table.

3. lorij12

lorij12 Thread Starter

YES it worked! thank you so much, i was having trouble finding the source in '07 but i opened the form and somehow got to the form property, which i'm so thankful for! i wonder why this happened, i hope i'm not going to have trouble once i relate the tables again and try to add fields from two different tables in a tabbed form. can't thank you enough, i was at a lose

4. OBP

OBP

Lorij, you should create a Form based on your new table and then add it to the Tab as a Subform. Link the Subform via Key fields using the Master/child Links.

5. OBP

OBP

Lorij, by the way, welcome to the Forum.:)

6. lorij12

lorij12 Thread Starter

Thank you for the welcome! I guess i thought i knew more about Access than i do, cause i'm not sure i understand what linking the Subform via Key fields using the Master/child Links means, but i will look that up and give it a try. thanks again for the advice, i appreciate your time!!

7. OBP

OBP

lorij, let me know if you need help with it.

8. lorij12

lorij12 Thread Starter

Thanks so much, i will!

9. lorij12

lorij12 Thread Starter

hi, i'm back. i really thought i was on my way. i was able to drop in the sub form to the main form but when i was adding additional fields to the sub form is disappeared from the main form. and now the main form is running very slow almost to the point of not being able to use it. if you have any ideas for me i appreciate it!!

10. OBP

OBP

I would suggest that you delete the Tab that has the Subform on it, the subform itself should still be in the database.
    Check that the Mainform is now working OK.
    Create a new Tab and add the Subform to it, creating the links as you go.

11. lorij12

lorij12 Thread Starter

i did try to remove the tab where the subform lived but it didn't seem help. when i try to populate any of the fields in the data view (that includes field you can write in, drop downs, and radio buttons) it takes forever and also my pc starts making a sound like it's reeving up. gosh i hope i that this is something that is fixable, i wouldn't even know where to begin if i had to start all over again. as always, i appreciate any input you may have!

12. OBP

OBP

When you removed the Tab with the Subform did it speed up the Computer?
    Have you tried doing a Compact & Repair of the database using the Main Menu>Tools>Database Utilities>Compact & repair database?
    Can you take a copy of the database and convert it to Access 2003 format?

13. lorij12

lorij12 Thread Starter

Thanks again, i actually ordered a new laptop and waited for that to come in. i've loaded the database on and now it seems to be working fine - so i'm assuming the problem must have been a memory thing. thanks so much for the valuable insight!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914646

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice