1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access 2000 -> Client/Server with Jet 4.0

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Guy, Jun 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Guy

Guy Thread Starter

Over the last year a co-worker and I have been developing a complex Job-Costing system in a Microsoft Access Database (4.0). It is a 50 Meg file that is on our Server. The problem is that only one person can Access the Database at a time. This is going to be hell when we accually release this to the other 15 people is the office. I have experimented with an access 2000 Project (MSDE Client/Server) but I dont think it is the option for our office. I was wondering what was needed to make our database multi-user. It says it can handle up to 255 multiple users, and 1 user is far from that limit.
    Please give me all the information you can. Thanks.

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Tools-Options, Advanced (I think) tab. Default login should be SHARED, not EXCLUSIVE.

3. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

Yes, Dreamy's is the right answer (and you say you don't do Access! ;)). And, do know two other related things:

Ain't no way an Access db is going to support 255 users. It will blow up on a regular basis above 25-30, just not robust enough. In spite of what the specs say.

And, if you are using it over a network, it should be split for file-server at least: a front end on each client machine, with tables linked to the back end db file. Or you will generate five tons of network traffic, and probably get a fair amount of corrupted data to boot.

4. Guy

Guy Thread Starter

Is that option Access specific or Database specific? Because I couldnt run it with another user on, but when he logged out and I was able to open the database it was already set to shared. ( I cant test it now because its the weekend. )

I also tried creating and MDE file (front end / back end) but it was unable to create one. I read in the help as to why this would happen and fixed a few things but it still says I cant make one. I think it has something to do with the fact that I have linked tables but am not sure. Is this the reason? If so, is there anyway to get around this problem? Just so you know, the tables that are linked come from a backend database, not a full database.

Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/46713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice