1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

access 2000 database

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by needhelp1950, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. needhelp1950

needhelp1950 Thread Starter

I have a membership database created by someone who is no longer available to consult. It contains fields to check for organizations joined. The information was for 2008. I am getting ready for a new year and would like to keep the 2008 information but create a new form that clears those fields to insert 2009 information. Do I need to copy the 2008 database and save as 2009. I know this will sound crazy, but how do I do that? When I open the document and click save as it says save switchboard to _____________; save as _____________

2. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    The relationship between the members and the organizations should be setup as a one to many relationship. I am guessing that they set it up as a 1 to 1 relationship and you cannot add more records for those members. Could you empty out the data, zip and attach the file as an attachment in a post? Also you do not copy the file within Access you do it when browsing folders in windows explorer. I would not recommend having separate files for each year.

3. slurpee55

slurpee55

I would just click on the table with the 2008 data, paste it back into the same Access database. (Note, don't Save As.)
    You will be asked to name the table (I would first rename the old table to something like "name" 2008 and then name the new one what it used to be called, that way any links, queries, etc. will go to the new table). Also, you will be asked if you want to append to existing data (no), paste Structure and Data (again, no) or paste Structure Only - click in this option.
    Then you will have a new table with exactly the same structure as the 2008 one, and, since you used the name that the 2008 table used to have, all the queries, reports, forms, etc. will work.

4. needhelp1950

I renamed the two 08 tables but how do I create the 09 tables so I can copy the info into them?

5. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    He does not really want you to rename them. He wants you to copy them and then rename the original tables for 09. Are you going to ever need to track historical values along with current values?

6. needhelp1950

OK. How do I copy--basic steps please since I obviously do not know what I am doing. Historical data would be helpful in tracking membership numbers

7. slurpee55

slurpee55

Actually, I would rename them and retain the old tables for as long as needed - but keep the data in different tables. If I wanted to compare person x across years, I would just use a query to link the tables and filter for that person and see the data for all the years combined - or make a new table and append all the data to it.
    But for using with a form, I would not keep the old data in with the new - gets too confusing.

8. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Hold down your CTRL key and move the table down. You will have a copy of the table. Select the original hit "F2" which allows you to rename an object and name it 2009. Rename the copy you made to 2008 since it will say "Copy of 2008."

As an addendum after seeing slurpee's post. How I differentiate between old and current data is having a year field within the organizations table. I then have the form sort the record via the year in descending order to see the current records whenever they open the form. ;) It is harder to count fields across tables when you have different years in different tables.

9. slurpee55

slurpee55

I always have a year field, so I didn't really think about it, but that isn't what I would do - but if I made a query of two tables, I could certainly track changes by including the year field in the query.

10. needhelp1950

OK. I did the control and copy thing and renamed, but I removed the check boxes from the current or 09 table (not all boxes, thank heavens, just a few), but when I looked at the 08 copy those boxes had been cleared in the copy as well. What did I do wrong?

11. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Are you sure that you copied the database and not Linked to it?

12. needhelp1950

I held down the control key and moved the table down and received a table that said copy of.

13. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Can I ask why you want a new table for 2009, rather than just adding the records to the original table?
    You can restrict what you see on your form by having a Query restrict the date to 2009, but your data would still be available in the same table.

14. slurpee55

slurpee55

I can understand it - I have several projects that have been going on for 7, 8 years. Keeping everything in one table would be impractical, given that I have to do quarterly reports.

15. needhelp1950

I wanted historical data about memberships. As you can see, I know nothing about access design--I just know how to put info in the forms that were created for me to use. The address book that pulls from the tables lists:
    name Member assoc. and X club
    address
    home phone
    cell phone
    work phone
    email address
    same info for spouse
    children's names, ages, schools
    year moved into neighborhood
    We would like to run a report that will show us past memberships in assoc and clubs

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice