1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access 2000 Resources

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by nwinchel, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nwinchel

nwinchel Thread Starter

Does anyone have any recommendations for web sites or written manuals that would be helpful to me as I continue to work with Access? I would call myself an "intermediate" user. Most of what I have seen is either for the very beginner or programming with Visual Basic (which my employer will not subsidize - yet.) There are no local training resources. The nearest New Horizons, for instance, is over 3 hours away.

I'm looking for more of a reference-type book where I could see how to do certain things vs. one that is tutorial-based and walks the reader through developing a database.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

Ha-Ha!!!!!! Gave in, didya? Good. :)

Get the Access Developer's Handbook by Litwin, Getz and Gilbert from Sybex (the link is to the 2000 version at Amazon, now on sale, volume 1 is all you need until you're bigtime). It is literally the only reference book you need, and has some durn fine stuff on the CD, which you are free to steal. I use it constantly.

As for websites, nothing comes close. A good forum for quick answers and a searchable db of 86 bazillion Access questions is www.tek-tips.com, easy questions in the General Access Discussion forum are usually answered in about 12 seconds. (I think there are a buncha Access geeks just waiting to pounce on you there.) And here, of course, there's several people who can answer Access stuff. I've never seen a really good reference site. (Don't mean there ain't one out there.)

Get the ADHK, really. You won't be sorry, if you have any Access work to do, and you're beyond beginner. (No, they do not pay me. Though I deserve a cut by now...)

3. Talismanic

Talismanic

Also check out this Access user forum - Access World Forums Talismanic = BukHix over there.

By the way, would that be the New Horizons in Grand Rapids? I am just down the lake from you here in GR. I have went to a few of the NH trial classes and I have not been real impressed with the content of the courses.

4. nwinchel

nwinchel Thread Starter

Yeah. I haven't heard good things, either, but it's the closest.

5. Talismanic

Talismanic

Just to clarify, I don't think there is a problem with this particular New Horizons because I think they all follow a template. I do not even mean to say that the instructers there were bad. It is just that most quick format training classes try to get a lot covered in a small amount of time and skim over most advanced topics.

The last class I went to lost most of the students after the first break. The topic was introduction to NT Workstation 4 but we spent most of the time learning how to use the Search function and MS Paint.

It may of been a wrong assumption made on my part but since we were covering NT 4 I thought we would have covered topics specific to it. If I would of paid $ for this class I would of been hopping mad.

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Long time, no see Buck!

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Didn't even read the question, doh!!

http://www3.sympatico.ca/qaissuper/Index.html

Don't know how good it is, tho. The thing is, n, we're getting pretty good at supporting Access right here. We've got our regular Access guys (and I know how to contact them if the problem sits too long, hee hee), and I know how to make a form or two (and work right next to people who do development--wish I could just listen in all day long).

We're a far cry from several years ago. Lucky if I got a Word question in here. Now we've got our own forum.

8. nwinchel

nwinchel Thread Starter

Just received the book yesterday. (I bought it from http://www.bookpool.com - better pricing) Wow! It's, like, 3" thick! I'm hoping it has the answers to many of my problems. However, I'll still be dropping in here, too.

Thanks again.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61538

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice