1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access 2000: Strange Broken Queries

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Guy, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Guy

Guy Thread Starter

Okay, I have the strangest problem with my Access, which may not be the cause of the problem. I have an Access backend file on the network with an mde that is linked to it also on the network. To install the mde on the client machine, I made an install script that copies the mde to a specific directory on the client machine, thus ensuring that everyone has the same mde file. Now, on 5 out of 6 computers every part of the mde works fine. On the sixth computer, one or 2 of the queries within the mde file do not work at all. The query returns 0 results when looking at the backend it clearly should return results. Also, It is the exact same mde file the other computers are using so the queries are the same but wait, it gets better...

After working with the query that does not work for a few hours I decided to give up and reformat the troublesome machine. I did a complete wipeout of the system (Fdisk, then format) and reinstalled windows. I installed office and checked the mde program to see if it worked. nope. I installed SP2 on my office install. still not working. I went to windowsupdate.com and installed all critical updates and some recommended ones. And once again it doesnt work.

So at this point I think it is hardware but when contacting dell technical support they said they dont fix software problems, and I dont have spare hardware for testing (at the moment). So the almighty question is: WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!?!?!!?

System Specs:
    Dell Optiplex GX115
    Win98SE
    P3 933
    10 GB HD (IBM DESKstar I think)
    Intel integrated video
    128 MB PC133 SDRAM
    3Com NIC Card

- Guy

2. Rockn

Rockn

Does the mde use a path to connect to the main db? Might be some UNC problem or ODBC problem. I would break down the queries that aren't working and try to find the area of each that is causing the problem. Try setting up the same query on a local copy of accees with linked tables to the main db. It only sounds like a module problem or something simple.

3. Guy

Guy Thread Starter

All the tables are working fine. I can see all data in any table when I open it from the mde. I have deleted all the links and brought them back from the backend as well with no success. I have changed the compuers IP and computer name with no success. And like i said before, I did a complete reformat of the system and it still didnt work after. I will try linking to local data as I do not have direct access to the computer in question at this time and get back to you but keep the suggestions coming until I do.

Thanks, Guy

4. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

Do you use security on the db? If so, are query permissions set to User?

What kind of query is this? Are you running file-server or client-server?

The fact that a complete reformat changed nothing makes me think it's in your mde...

5. Guy

Guy Thread Starter

All permissions are set correctly.

The query is a select query that uses joined fields from a table and another query.

Im not sure if it is file-server or client-server but, there is an MDE on each client machine and a backend (with just tables) on the server.

6. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

Okay, well, either:

1. There's something funky in your network connection: try copying the back end to the local machine, and relinking all the tables to the local copy, and run the query again.

2. There's some little bit of corruption in your db: Create a new blank db, import all your objects into it, make an mde out of it, and try again, or

3. There's some problem in the query itself, unlikely unless 2 is also true, I'd rewrite the query from scratch and resave it, maybe even under a different name, and see what happens.

Also, what happens in an mdb version of the same file on the client machine?

You're using file-server if you just link your tables directly through MS Jet, i.e. from the Linked Table Manager or code using DAO objects. You're using client-server if you use ODBC (even to link to an Access back end) and then open connections to run your queries, updates, etc.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice