1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access 2000/Word 2000 Mail Merge

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by lynn_victoria12047, Feb 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lynn_victoria12047

lynn_victoria12047 Thread Starter

Using Access 2000, I have a number field, formatted number....
    doing a mail merge in word, causes the field which is called Dues to loose it's formatting... Word says to apply a Numeric Picture Switch...{ Dues \# $#,##0.00 } but try as I might I cannot get it to work....

So I have the Syntax wrong on something? I am in a time crunch and have to have this letter out asap am tomorrow....

What is wrong???? I did a letter like this in January and it worked fine.....Help!

2. Rockn

Rockn

What is the number supposed to be formatted as? What does the data in the table look like without the formatting?

3. lynn_victoria12047

The field in Access looks like Currency, but is formatted number
    ie- $4,000.00

in Word it merges as 4000

4. lynn_victoria12047

Well, since no one answered my question, I will post the answer here although it is so simple it is almost embarrasing.

Word apparently has some problems retaining the formatting that one might apply to a numeric field in Access. The process is the following.

In the Word template, right click on the merge field that you want to apply formatting to... click "toggle field codes" and if you want to display numbers as currency insert the following \# $#,##0.00

It would look like this:
    field prior to RClick «Dues»
    field after RClick

5. lynn_victoria12047

Well, since no one answered my question, I will post the answer here although it is so simple it is almost embarrasing.

Word apparently has some problems retaining the formatting that one might apply to a numeric field in Access. The process is the following.

In the Word template, right click on the merge field that you want to apply formatting to... click "toggle field codes" and if you want to display numbers as currency insert the following \# $#,##0.00

It would look like this:
    merge field prior to RClick: «Dues»

mergefield after RClick, Toggle field codes:
    {MERGEFIELD Dues}

after insert of picture switch: {MERGEFIELD Dues \# $#,##0.00 }

So for posterity's sake...theres the answer!

6. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

Sorry Lynn, we weren't ignoring you. I didn't quite understand what was going wrong, and then I thought Rockn was on it, he's an Office Heavy-D, so I thought... Whatever. You worked it out.

Just a note about Access formatting, now that I see what you're doing: no matter what formatting you put where, Access doesn't even retain that info on the data itself; it applies it at the moment that you look at the data only. So the fact that you see "$4,000.00" in a table, a query, a form, a report, anywhere basically (there are some exceptions in the VBA world, but that's another story), the value is always stored as 4,000. So you'll always have to apply formatting somewhere else. What Access is "smart" about is that, within Access, if you set up formatting on a table field, it will automatically carry that formatting over for you on all related queries, forms, and reports, unless you override it in one of those locations. Formatting in other applications, as you learned, must always be reapplied.

7. lynn_victoria12047

Thanks dwobs......
    did you have any info on the advanced form design that I asked about the other day?

8. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

Um, don't remember what the question was, and can't find the post... Could you ask again, or point me to it?

9. lynn_victoria12047

it was a pm.....

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/68732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice