1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access 2002 OnNotInList event help

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by deanziegler, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deanziegler

deanziegler Thread Starter

Working with a combo box in a subform. If data is entered into that box that is NotInTheList i want the AfterUpdate event for procedure to change. T

The If statement in the AfterUpdate should be fairly easy but how do I capture the triggered OnNotInList Event so i can pass it on to AfterUpdate Event , tell it that the NotInLIst Event occured and code it accordingly. Thanks!

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Okay, question: why would you want a user to be able to enter a value into a combobox that is not a predetermined value? The whole idea for combo is that you are forcing the user to use only those values that you have determined are valid....?

Some will argue otherwise, but even for items as seemingly insignificant as "Mr., Mrs., Miss", etc., combo boxes ensure that repeated data is consistently uniform. This may then require you to create a new, small table to accomodate the values, as well as an option for user to input new value, but it ensures that when you go to create a query, you don't miss data that otherwise should be included because of inconsistencies and/or typos.

MBN

3. deanziegler

deanziegler Thread Starter

the reason for wanting to do this is its a "part" entering subform in an invoice form/ Not only did i wish to look up parts by number and/ or description but also be able to "hard code" a part into the invoice that is not in the DB and might just be used for a one time only scenerio or the part iteslf dosent even warrant being added to the DB (a consumable). the problem came when the part was NOT IN THE LIST. My code was filling other fields designated to receive data with null/blanks because a part was not found. I got around this by setting the NotIn List event to yes and when it triggered i used code in that event to accept the "New Data" ,to bypass the AfterUpdate event "pull data code", and to setfocus to the next field. It works fine now Thanks for your reply!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217624

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice