1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access 2003: Making forms available for clients

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by dacree324, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dacree324

dacree324 Thread Starter

I am trying to make a database I have built available for people in my office. They will be adding data to it with the forms I have created, but I have been having a hard time finding how to set up what I have on a network so that it can be accessed by many clients.

I would really appreciate any tips as to where I can find this information. Thanks in advance!

Dane

2. slurpee55

slurpee55

Where is the database located? If it is on the network itself, you shouldn't have any problems at all. However, if the forms are a separate front end, please give us a bit more information about the network.

3. dacree324

dacree324 Thread Starter

I would be putting the database on a network drive. I would like for each of the clients to download some kind of dashboard that would link to the database, where the would be able to use the forms I have made to input and look at data in the tables.

Does that help, or is there something else that I am leaving out?

4. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    You will want to look into "Data Access Pages" which are web-driven forms.

5. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

dacree, is that a Networked Drive as in an "IntraNet" or ont WWW?

6. slurpee55

slurpee55

If it is just on your network (not the WWW) then you can open up the database on a PC, right-click on the form and go to Create Shortcut. A pop-up box will appear. Just click on the Browse button and find where you want to place the shortcut (e.g., the desktop of that PC) and click OK. Afterwards, the user just has to click on the shortcut and the database will open, and the form will open automatically.

7. dacree324

dacree324 Thread Starter

It is going to be on an IntraNet. My manager told me that we would be leaving the database on the network so that the managers can access the forms from there, similar to what slurpee55 suggested.

I'm worried about security like that, but everyone who will be using it is going to be in office, and I'll have backups.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

8. slurpee55

slurpee55

9. dacree324

dacree324 Thread Starter

Thank you! I know they've told me they don't plan to open the tables or anything, but I believe it's better to be safe than sorry.

I'll take a look at those, thanks again!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/730792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice