1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access 2003 sorting multi fields

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by cindymtl, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cindymtl

cindymtl Thread Starter

We have an Equipment Inventory database and we would like to change the sorting priority in two fields-example:
    Equipment - ascending first priority - current
    Location - ascending second priority - add
    Description - ascending third priority - add

The report is already created and when I have went out to add the changes it doesn't change the order on the report. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Any suggestions?

2. OBP

OBP

Are you sorting in the Report's Grouping & Sorting?

3. cindymtl

cindymtl Thread Starter

Yes I was in the Report's Grouping & Sorting when I added the location and description.

4. OBP

OBP

The order that they appear in the Grouping & Sorting is the Order they appear on the Report.

5. cindymtl

cindymtl Thread Starter

I am attaching two pages for you to look at - one is a screen print of the report and the thing that I am trying to change is that the Locations be alphabetized - second priority -in each category (permanent attachments, power equipment, handtool schedule) and then the third priority be the Descriptions. They still aren't alphabetizing correctly. Am i missing something?
    Thank you for your patience

Attached Files:

6. OBP

OBP

From what I can see your problem is the fact that your sub categories within Equipment Data are actually Sub Reports.
    To sort those you need to put the Grouping or Sorting in each of them, the actual subreports can't be sorted other than by hand in design view.

7. cindymtl

cindymtl Thread Starter

You say that to sort these I need to put the Grouping or Sorting in each of them...where do I do that?
    When she built this data base she has sep. tables for each of these..Equipment Data, Permanent Attachments, Power Equipment, Handtool Schedule and then she has it all combined into one table and then consolidates the tables into one report. I don't see a Grouping/Sorting option on the individual tables.

8. OBP

OBP

Have you looked a the Reports Tab, to see what reports are listed?
    Can you post a screenshot of the Table Relationships?

9. cindymtl

cindymtl Thread Starter

I have attached two screen prints:
    1 of the Reports Tab
    1 of the Inventory Relationships

Attached Files:

10. OBP

OBP

If you look at those reports, for instance Power Equipment you may find that they are being used as sub reports, in fact if you click on the Power Equipment in your report it should tell you the name of the report it uses. You can then open that and set the Grouping and Sorting of that report.
    Looking at the relationships and table designs I am afraid that this database is not very well designed, rather than have the separate tables with the same fields it would have been better to have one table with a field for "Equipment Type".
    It should have made the Grouping easier.
    If you want to redesign it I am quite willing to help you.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921269

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice