access 2003

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

janahona

I am working with an inventory database. we have three different storage places where we keep all of our products. we also keep few of the same products on each storage room. I have Windows XP

When I listed each product and the current inventory, I selected the category to be room #1,#2 or #3, so I know how many of each product I have on each room. the problem is that when I selected "design view" to modify the product summary report, it would not take the "category field", It gets ear marked - "this control has an invalid control source". if I check to 'ignore this problem", when I go to preview the report summary, it asks for the parameter value of this field?

I would like the report to list the same product three times, and tell me in which storage room this product is...

How can I insert the category field on this report or on the field list?

OBP

When you say you "selected the category to be room #1,#2 or #3" do you mean you created a drop down list with those Items in the list?
It could by that the # symbol is confusing Access.
Can you post a zipped copy of the database?
The copy does not need any data in it, I just ned to see the Inventory table and that Category Field.

janahona

Thanks so much for your reply.

I have never worked with access, but I need to create somehow a program to keep our inventory that will make our lives easier at work. How can I zip the program? I could not send you a copy!, I hope you can help me.

At first, I though that the category was to separate the kind of products, but then, the person that keeps the inventory wants all the janitorial supplies separated to different areas.

I may have to use the category field differently. Also, I do not have the symbol "#" in the field, just names.

I do not know if I have to merge all the products that are the same in the inventory database, but, then how can I separate them so I know how many of each item I have on each storage room?

What I need is:

1.- know how many of each product I have on each room, but when I am placing an order, it should be a general order - regardless of its location. Also, I would like to make a list that shows how many items I have left in each storage room.

2.- Is there any other way I can separate the products on the storage room - other than the category field?

Thanks,

Nancy

OBP

Nancy, you can download the free ZipGenious 6 to zip your database or you can send it to me via email.

OBP

I think that your data structure may be wrong. Rather than having a Category Field it would be much better to have a Location Table and a Part/Location Table.
The Location Table has 3 records for the 3 Rooms (but will allow you to add more if necessary, or change them). The Part/Location table would have the PartID, the RoomID and the Quantity in that room.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online