1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

access 2007 account transaction template

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by idealman, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. idealman

idealman Thread Starter

Hi There,
    I have downloaded the acccount transation template with the intention of adding a customer table to track customers transactions. I have added the customer table and the relationship to the account transactions. I have added a query for customer balances and changed the account transaction form by adding a combo box to select a customer. What I would like to do is show the customers account balance on the form when selected from the drop down box. Could someone please explain the simpleist way of acheiving this. thank you in advance

2. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

I am not familiar with "acccount transaction template", does the Transaction Table contain the "Balance" that you wish to display?
    Or does it need to be calculated?
    I am not sure that you should JUST add the customer to the Transaction Form, I think it would be better to have a Customer Form with a "Find a Record on my Form" type Combo. Then add the CustomerID field to the Transaction Form and then add that to your new Customer Form linking them via the Customer ID field (Master/Child Link).
    That way when you select a customer it will show their Transaction(s)
    Then add the Transaction

3. idealman

idealman Thread Starter

The customer balance has been calclated in a query.
    I like the idea of just showing the selected customers transactions. Can you give me some pointers on the best way to acheive this

4. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Can you post what you have as an attachment, as it may be easier for me to do it than explain and you do it.
    But basically you add a CustomerID field to the Transaction Table/query/form and then create a Customer Form and add the Transaction Form to it as a Subform linking via the CustomerID field.
    Ideally the Transaction Form would be set to "Continuous Form" mode.

5. idealman

idealman Thread Starter

Appreciate your help, have attached the zip file

Attached Files:

6. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

idealman, sorry can you convert the database to Access 2003, I haven't loaded Access 2007 yet.

7. idealman

idealman Thread Starter

Hopefully you can open this one.

Attached Files:

8. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Here is what I have done, I have created a simple select query based on the Transaction table and set it to Date Sorting = Descending so that the last Transactions show at the top.
    I created a simple Form based on the new Query called Account Transactions subform. I will leave it to you to Format it.
    I replaced the subform that was on the CustomerTransaction mainform with the new one Linked via ID/Customer ID.
    I have added a couple of dummy records and it is working OK.
    I haven't done anything with the balance etc, although it can easily be done using some very simple VBA code.

I notice that you have a Default Date set in the Table as Now(), which stores the data as Date & Time which makes Query Date manipulation/Filtering more difficult.
    If you want a Default try Date() which only stores the date.

Attached Files:

9. idealman

idealman Thread Starter

I have entered a couple of new customers to the customer table but they do not appear on the drop down box in the account transaction form. Also how do I insert a save and new command button to the new customer form

10. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

I just used the CustomerTransaction form to make 2 entries in to the Customer table and they appear in the Combo with no trouble.
    You can use the Command Button Wizard to create a New Record button for your form, but you do not need a save one as the records are automatically saved.

11. idealman

idealman Thread Starter

Thanks for your help OBP

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/805701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice