1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access 2007 Database

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by flacks5, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flacks5

flacks5 Thread Starter

Hi Everyone, I am new to techguy so if I am posting this in the wrong forum please point me to in the right direction. I am working on a database project that involves skip tracing loan borrowers and cosigners who have bad phone numbers. The process begins with a list that includes their names, SSN, last known address, email address, loan number, balances, charge off status, and how many days past due. After the list is work, it gets added to an excel spreadsheet, with new information such as phone number, accounts that were found gets added to the bal_found column, charge off accounts gets added to the charge off column, track source is added in. I am designing a database to help keep track of resolved account, their balances, how many times the account have been review, last date of review, and so forth.

Again I am new to database and this is a real world app I am working on, just started and I am stuck on the table and relationship, I am attaching a screen shot of the tables I have so, any suggestions and input will highly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Can you tell me why the data is transferred to Excel for "extra" processing?
    Why isn't it all done in Access?

Sorry, I can't read your screenshot as it is in Word 2007 format.

3. flacks5

flacks5 Thread Starter

Posted via Mobile Device
    Thanks for the response, I will resubmit the screenshot, at this point the company actually does all the work in excel, nothing is done in access.

4. flacks5

flacks5 Thread Starter

We currently process all the work in excel, at this point nothing is done in access, try to move everything to microsoft access database because the spread has become too large.

Attached Files:

5. slurpee55

slurpee55

flacks, first welcome to the forum and yes, you posted in the correct place!
    like OBP, I can't imagine doing this in Excel - it is so obviously a database job.
    If you can deal with others who don't have 2007 yet - I think OBP does, but I don't yet (ok, my new laptop has a 30 day trial version, but I don't use it much), so I can help some but please make sure you always save your files in 2003 format.
    If you can upload blank Excel 2003 files - even better, ones with some fake data in them - then creating a rough database would be a breeze.
    Then, with OBP's brilliance and my dogged ignorance, we can probably help you get something really good in a fairly short time.

6. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

flacks, your Tables look pretty good, the only improvement I would consider is a ZIP/City/State Table where you can select them rather than entering them.
    I assume that the ID fields in the Individual Tables are Autonumber and the Foreign Key Fields in the Loan Table are Number type Long.
    The relationships should be
    FROM the Borrowers table BorrowerID TO the Loans Table BorrowerID with Referential Integrity set to 1 to Many.
    FROM the Cosigners table CosignerID TO the Loans Table CosignerID with Referential Integrity set to 1 to Many.
    FROM the Source table SourceID TO the Loans Table SourceID with Referential Integrity set to 1 to Many.

I am not sure which is you Primary Table that Kicks all this Off, is it the Source Table or do you want to make it the Borrowers table as you are looking for Bad phone Numbers?
    A Zipped Copy of your Access Database in Access 2003 fromat would be really good. It would just need a couple of "Dummy" records in it.

Have you Imported all of the Excel data yet?
    Do you need help doing it?

7. flacks5

flacks5 Thread Starter

Thanks every one for the response, i am attaching a dummy spreadsheet to see what the data looks like, I am sorry I do not have a business specs for this project, and very little database knowledge, thanks for all the help.

Attached Files:

8. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Do the Loan Numbers have any letters in them or are they purely arithmetic?

9. flacks5

flacks5 Thread Starter

loan numbers are purely arithmetic

10. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

OK before the Loan Numbers can be Imported in to Access they need to be Expanded from Scientific Notation ((123451E+14)) to a normal number (123451234512345) and then a ' added to the front to turn them in to a text field.
    Otherwise they will not import correctly.
    I have an Excel Macro that you can use to do this.
    How many sheets are there?

11. flacks5

flacks5 Thread Starter

There are two 2 sheets in a workbook. The loan numbers are actually in normal form, we initially had to use only the SSN, now we are including the Loan # in the database.

12. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Have you created the Access Database yet?

13. flacks5

flacks5 Thread Starter

I am currently working on the database, the image i uploaded earlier is all I have along with few changes from the suggestions I received, I am also working on the relationship of the of the various table within the database

14. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Do both Worksheets have the same format/layout as the dummy one you posted?
    If so then you want to Import them in to your database.
    You can then create Queries to put the data in to the Relevant Tables.

15. flacks5

flacks5 Thread Starter

They don't have same format, there is a slight difference between the two tables, I am also uploading the database\table that I have so far. thanks

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/787414

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice