1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access 2007 - Page Numbering Error (#Name?)

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ehearn, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ehearn

ehearn Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2012 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 44319 MB, Free - 15240 MB; D: Total - 31871 MB, Free - 17025 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 0AA8h, , 2UA8101BTN
    Antivirus: Symantec Endpoint Protection, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Hello. I'm trying to resolve issue with page numbering field in footer of Access 2007 reports. Within same file, I have one report where page numbering field displays properly (i.e., appears correctly in print preview/printout as "Page 1 of 13"), but 9 other reports do not. In print preview (and on printouts), I get the following error message: #Name?. To resolve the issue, I've tried several approaches:
    1. I checked all fields for spaces before the "=" and found none. All expressions had the same exact format--one works, the others do not.
    2. I cut/pasted working field from the one "good" report into other reports. That worked while I remained in the file, but after saving/exiting and reopening the file, the edits were gone and the error was back!
    3. I deleted fields and created from scratch (controls, page numbering). Again, the changes took while in the file, but were gone upon reopening.
    4. Note that page numbering in newly created reports (run as a test) were saved and remained after exiting/reopening the file. :confused:
    I've checked with our IT guys and they are stumped. Any ideas you can offer short of redoing the reports will be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. karlhaywood

karlhaywood Account Closed

Try This-

="Page " & [Page] & " of " & [Pages]

3. ehearn

ehearn Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. That works while I'm in the file (i.e., appears correctly in Print Preview). However, after saving/exiting and then reopening the file, it's back to "#Name?" again. Seems odd to me that saving/editing/reopening holds some changes but not this one. :confused:

I appreciate your help. Any other ideas/suggestions?

4. Drew_S

Drew_S

eHearn,

We just had the very same problem that cropped up suddenly with an Access 2003 database. We'd be using Access 2007 for some months and all was well, until today. We also tried to re-create the Page number field and it would work as long as you didn't close the database. As soon as you closed and re-opened the database, it'd be back to #Name?. Was driving us nuts. However, on a hunch I tried converting the database from an Access 2003 version to Access 2007 (it now has .accdb as the extension). THAT WORKED!!! The problem went away.

My guess is that a recent HOTFIX from Microsoft BROKE something!! I've seen it happen before. The fact that the forum posts on other sites I've been reading, related to this very problem, are all dated in January or February suggests to me that it's a Microsoft induced issue. Nice work M$!!!

Drew

5. OBP

OBP

If Drew's suggestion does not fix the problem, you could put the tables(less data)/queries/reports in to an Access 2003 database. I or someone else could change and save the reports with working page numbers and you import them back in to your database to see if they work.

Have you Repaired & Compacted the Database?

6. shizekopf

shizekopf

One of my databases was having the same problem - some reports were working fine, some weren't, but it was already an Access 2007 database (accdb). Like the other posts have said, these reports had all been working a couple months ago. Repairing/Compacting the database didn't help. After 'fixing' the problem several times, and having the problem again the next time the database was opened, I was able to resolve the problem by creating a new, blank database and importing all of the objects from the old database. Hope this helps.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice