1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access 2010 throws me out

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by FRANCISS, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FRANCISS

FRANCISS Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3063 Mb
    Graphics Card: ConfigMgr Remote Control Driver, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 76316 MB, Free - 50951 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 09F8h
    Antivirus: Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

My company recently upgraded the Windows applications from 2007 to 2010. I had created several Access databases in Access 2007 and they had been working for several years. However, since I have converted them from 2007 to 2010 they have been intermittently throwing me out of the projects. The only error message I get is in the dialog box suggesting sending an error message to Microsoft: “Microsoft Access has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience” and I can either send the report to Microsoft or not. Access then does a compact and repair. However, from this time on I can no longer open the forms or reports – in design, form or layout view; when I try to, it throws me out the same way. Once in a while I can open a small form but when I try to go into design view, I get thrown out again.

Typically, I am able to use the database, enter data, print reports, make changes. But then out of the blue, it just blows up. Each time they blow up, I have to go back to a backup and reenter my data.

I have learned Access pretty much on my own and don’t know all the technical ins and outs of access. It may well be that something that was acceptable in version 2007 is no longer acceptable in 2010, but I have no idea what it could be.

I work on Windows XP. Unfortunately our IT administrator isn’t a programmer and knows very little about Access.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

2. OBP

OBP

If you run the old 2007 version in Access 2010 (without converting it) does it so the same thing?

Have Compacted and Repaired the database?
    Have you tried creating and Access 2010 database and importing the Access 2007 data and objects in to it?

3. FRANCISS

FRANCISS Thread Starter

Thank you for your lifeline - reply!

Yes, I have compacted and repared the database. That doesn't solve the problem; I still can't open the forms, after the compact and repair.

I have tried to create a new database and copy the objects in from the 2010 database that blew up. However, it will let me copy in the tables and queries, but when I try to copy in the forms, it throws me out and does not bring in any of the forms.

Yesterday after my post, it happened again - So I started over from Monday's backup. I have one form that I use as my Menu for the database and when I did some cosmetic changes on that form, the problem started - I was thrown out. I am now investigating making changes to the Menu form to see if I can narrow it down to a particular change.

No I have not tried to run the 2007 database in 2010 without converting them. I will try that if my investigation (above paragraph) doesn't help me.

4. FRANCISS

FRANCISS Thread Starter

I have worked with one database this morning and I have been intermittently thrown out of the database. I can find no consistent cause.

Changed an existing form cosmetically – to put more space between the detail records.
    Changed some data on existing records from the same form.
    Added a button on the menu form to open a word document.
    Tried several forms and reports - seem to be working well.

Later went back into the database.
    Changed the captions on two buttons on the menu form. Tried to print a report, threw me out. Went back in was able to print the report.

Made no other changes, clicked a button on the menu form to open a select query – threw me out.
    Went back in, clicked the exit button, threw me out.
    Went back in, other buttons (to open forms and reports) seem to be working ok now.

Later went back into the database.
    Made no changes - now the report open buttons throw me out. Form open buttons don’t.
    Went back in – clicked a button to open a form (that had been working), nothing happened, just tied up the project. Had to use task manager to get out.

Went back in, the exit button works ok, report buttons throw me out.

Went back in, opened menu in design view, clicked properties for a button so I could see the code, clicked on the event in properties, threw me out.

Now I can’t open any forms or any reports and can’t get into any code.
    Can get into the design mode of a table, but in 5-10 seconds it throws me out.
    Back in, design mode for a table, changed the length of a field, saved it ok.
    Waited a minute or so without doing anything else, throws me out.

5. OBP

OBP

Is your Access 2010 installed correctly?
    Have you tried a re-install/repair?
    Does the old Access 2007 version work if you don't convert it?

6. FRANCISS

FRANCISS Thread Starter

I guess I'm not quite sure about converting the databases. i thought i had converted them when i saved them from within access 2010. But maybe that is the problem. I will look into that.

thanks for your help

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090227

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice