1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access 2013 says my database is unrecognized format

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by tgrover54, May 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

Help! I have been using Access for years with no issues. Now I have a database created in Access 2013 (Office 365) that will not open. I get the error "database is not a recognized database format" or something of the sort. I tried copying it off the One Drive and putting in my Documents, thinking that it might be because it was in the cloud, but same message. I want to try Compact and Repair, but I cannot get to the database at all, so can't do that operation. I've read you can open Access and do a C & R on another database, but that doesn't work. It forces you to choose a template, and if I create a blank database and then go to C & R, it does not bring up a list of databases--just does nothing. Holding shift while opening Access does nothing except open it as usual. Any ideas at all out there????:eek:

2. OBP

OBP

You should be able to open Access without opening a database and then do the C&R on the problem one, you hava been able to do so on all versions up to 2007, I have not tested 2010/2013 though.
    Another alternative is to open a blank database and try an Import from the problem one.
    However if it is totally corrupted neither method will work, that is why it is issential to have a backup copy.

3. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, OBP. No, you don't seem to be able to open 2013 without opening a database. It opens on the template page, and there is no way to get to the program without choosing one. Grrrrr. I tried importing but got the same error message--not recognized as a database format. We did have a backup, but it was a week old. And my client told me that after entering data in the backed up copy, she got some kind of message saying her changes wouldn't be saved. Frustrating when i'm not in front of her computer. Double grrr . . . .

4. draceplace

draceplace

When you open Access 2013 it opens to the template selection but on the bottom left there is an 'open other files' dialog that will let you browse to select the desired file to open.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice