1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access 97 User group

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Moxy1, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moxy1

Moxy1 Thread Starter

I have a Database at work that is protected. I was added to a workgroup so that I could help maintain it. Now whenever I open any other Database I have to give my user name and password, otherwise it won't open. How do I remove myself from an Access User Group so I can move around different databases more easily?

Side note: My initial setup was done through wrkgadm.exe

Thanks,
    Moxy

2. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

It's not about being added to one db's users, it's about having the .mdw file that that file references run all your Access hookups.

I'm guessing that whoever created your security didn't bother to (1) use a new, fresh .mdw file rather than the system.mdw file that is Access's default security handler, and (2) create a specialized shortcut that would open only the Access file in question with only the custom .mdw file in question, leaving the rest of your Access connections alone.

Look at the properties of the shortcut you use to open to see if it has a /wrkgrp option on it. If not, this means that it's using the system.mdw default file, and your only option is to replace it with a clean version. You should be able to find one kicking around, either on your machine (I have about 6, but hey, I'm an Access programmer), on an uninitiated user's machine, or on your network. And it just might let you in to that "protected" db without a password, too.

edit: By the way, the mdw file extension denotes a file that controls user-level security for Access. In case you were wondering what I'm ranting about. (I don't like Access user-level security. Can you tell?)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice