1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access 97: Writing Calculating data to tables

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by sabotaj, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sabotaj

sabotaj Thread Starter

i've got a few calculations for fields based on other fields. I've managed to run these calculations properly in Forms and they are stored in the form:Datasheet view, but not written to the underlying Tables. i there anyway i can create a bound field with calculations in a Form? any ideas please....urgent!! thanks

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Love your name. :D

Ok. Don't do the calcs on forms.

Do a query with your table fields. Add fields and create expressions for your calcs. Create the form based on the query instead of your table.

You don't NEED to store calcs in tables....that's the whole idea. All calcs are done "on the fly" (when you run the query, form, or report), so there's no need to store them in tables. You're just wasting space.

Understand?

;)

Let me know.

3. sabotaj

sabotaj Thread Starter

Hey thanks for ya help, and the suggestion. Name is pretty alright huh? lol
    I sorta found another way around it as well. because i'm builing a System for VERY basic users i have to keep the calcs in the form. What i've done is do an update query that initiates after the closing of the form- unfortunately this updates the entire table each time it is run. Any suggestions on that? But yeah- my basic problem is solved!!

:D :D

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Yep. The only better name I can think of would be Self-Sabotaj. I used to do that a lot!

Anyway:

Just the same suggestion, Sab.

Whether you do the calcs on the form or not should not be making any difference to the user.

So either I don't understand what you're doing, or you don't understand what I'm suggesting.

I'm willing to look at your DB, tho.

Tools-Database Utilities-Compact and Repair, zip, ship to [email protected]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice