Access a computer behind access point at home from outside world

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dbdude

At home I have cable high speed internet, an access point and 3 computers connected to access point. The access point have a IP address, XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX. The 3 computers have static IP addresses as 192.168.0.30, 31 and 32.
How can I connect to any of these computers (lets say telnet to one of the Linux machine) from out side world?

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
How can I connect to any of these computers (lets say telnet to one of the Linux machine) from out side world?
You would need to set up port forwarding on your networking hardware from a specific port number on your public IP address to a specific port number on the Linux machine. Telnet typically uses port #23.

If your cable broadband service uses a dynamic IP address then you will need to subscribe to some dynamic DNS service so that people on the outside can connect to your network using its current public IP address.

EDIT: You need to check your ISP's usage policy to make sure they allow running any type of server on your account. If not permitted, they may block incoming connections on some port numbers.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online