Access and mail merge problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fcuenca

I have a problem with mail merge and an Access database. I did not set up any of this so I don't know too much details or where to start. The user just told me that she would just open the Word document and a pop up window would show up, she'd update some data and then the mail merge would be created with the entries she updated. These files were stored in a network drive and were moved from one server to another. Since then, the Word document tries to open the Access database using the old network path, this of course doesn't work, so it prompts for a location. Once the location is given I am presented with a list of tables, no matter which one I pick, the pop up window from Access never shows and a mail merge with just the names of the fields repeated many times is created.

How can I fix this problem? I am not an Access expert so I would like to leave the database untouched as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

There are probably linked tables that need to be re-linked. You need to select all of the tables that are listed. There should also be a linked table manager under tools > add ins where you can re-link all of the tables again.

fcuenca

Rockn said:
There are probably linked tables that need to be re-linked. You need to select all of the tables that are listed. There should also be a linked table manager under tools > add ins where you can re-link all of the tables again.
Is this in Word or Access? I can't select all of the tables in either. When I try it on Access one by one, there are no Add-ins under that menu you suggest. I try to add it, but I don't know which one to add (or where to find the one you mention to link the tables again).

EDIT: I found the Linked Table manager under Tools - Database Utilities. When I click on it I get a message "There are no linked tables in this database"

OBP

fcuenca, I would think that the problem is with the Macro in Word, it is probably designed to open a form or message box in Access. The path that was changed is stopping the Macro from working. Anne Troy wold be a good person for this one as she is an expert in Word. I could take a look at the word doc for you but my speciality is Access.
I will give Anne a shout.

Anne Troy

Anne
I have to agree with OBP. It's probably something in the code that's trying to connect to the DB and/or specific table name. What happens if you try to run the mail merge manually (open the doc holding the shift key down and run the merge).

fcuenca

Opening the word document holding down the shift key doesn't do anything different than before. How can I edit the macro on that document without running the merge?

I have never seen a merge document open up a list of DB tables. If we could get a look at the db as well as the merge document I am sure someone can give you more precise directions as to a fix.

OBP

I agree with Rockn, if you could post a zipped copy of the word document and Access Database on here it would be much easier to help you. The database doesn't need any records or confidential data, just it's structure.
To see the Word macro you should go to Tools>Macros if no macros are listed go to Tools>Macros>Visual Basic Editor.

I connected to the database just fine. It would not do a merge since the tables were empty, but it worked like it was supposed to. Put the database in the same directory as the merge document and try it again.

OBP

fcuenca, I have had a look at your word doc and it has no VB or macros.
What controls the database /word link is the Mail Merge itself.
I think what you need to do is this, open the word doc, when it asks to run the query say no.
The word doc is populated by the "old data". On the Main Menu got to Tools>Letters & mailing>Show Mail Merge Toolbar.
On the Mail Merge Toolbar the second icon from the right is "Open Data Source" when you click that it gives you a list of possible sources, allows you to browse and also "Select New Source".
You should be able to use that to "find" your database and use that as the source.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts