ACCESS clear table/append table not working?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jmosmith

I'm trying to run a clear table query (to keep the table, but delete the data), and then an append query to repopulate the table, and it's not working.

...any idea what I'm doing wrong?

OBP

To clear the Table use a "Delete Query".
To append to the table you need some data to add to it, where is that data coming from?

jimr381

Jim
This does not really clear the table, but I do teach to this when setting up shells for future tables. Another option to create blank copies of tables is the "Save As" button when you have the table open[Edit] in deign view [/edit]. Save As is a different animal in Access and as such saves the shell of the table and not the data within it. This is not what you want if you are trying to backup the table before you do an action query on it though. ;) I make sure to emphasize this a lot when teaching about append queries.

Jim, Save As retains the data of whatever you copy. Perhaps you are thinking of Copy, Paste, Retain Structure Only?
jmosmith, what this does, is you copy a table, then paste it back - it wil give you a pop-up box, where you have to name the pasted table, and you can choose to Paste, Retain Data and Structure or Retain Structure Only - so yyou have all your fields (and all their properties) but no data.

...create blank copies of tables is the "Save As" button when you have the table open.
Ah, but Design View is not having the table open, jimbo - it is having it in design view....but okay, yes, you can do it that way (although why you would....?) :p

We have over 6 inches of snow here today - so take anything I say with a grain of salt (or keep the salt for your sidewalk - you're gonna need it!)

jimr381

Jim
The post was for clarification and informational purposes. When teaching about backing up the data before you do action queries I always teach not to do that. A lot of people think it works the same way as MS Word or Excel and would be heartbroken when they run an update query a second time updating the values again only to find out the backed up copy they made via "Save As" is blank. ;) I usually teach the users to drop copying which is holding down the CTRL while moving to make a copy of it. It alleviates the whole copy and paste which prompts you to name the new item. Thanks for the heads up though. I added the three words I missed from the thread.

I also ALWAYS make a backup - prior to running an append query, or a Delete Query or..., well, frankly, I have some DBs that replete with junk - duplicates that I should go in and delete....
And I should have remembered anyway - you can't do Save As - as a table - when the table is open in normal view. (You can save it as, say, a form, I think,, but...)

jmosmith

Thanks for the feed-back. I'll review the set-up I'm using, look for missteps, and try again.

I've used this before in the past; so I know how it works, just been a while.

To answer someone's question about the data, it's coming from the same source I've been using, a data table in the DB, with an action query used on it to crunch; then I want to populate the output table -- I like the "delete/append" method because it keeps the "properties" and descriptions of the table in tact, rather than erasing it each time.

I find those comments are very helpful to anyone following in my tracks later, or even to me later!!!

I'll re-try, and re-post the results later.

Much thanks to all,
Jmo :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online