1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access- Copying Records across

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by batman1056, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. batman1056

batman1056 Thread Starter

OK.. I have a database in Access 97. and it does everyting thing I want. the one thing I am having problems with is copying one record onto another. is this possible. the format of the database is as follows

you choose a customer. which will allow access the the subform on the same page call ordermain. with the key being order number. in this subform there will be details regarding an order , ie. date, contact etc. this will also have a subform linked via the ordernumber 1 to many ratio. called orderdetails on this subform you will have various items which are the main quote. what I would like to do if possible is copy the orderdetails subform onto a new record. how can I do this?

Also when I am using the orderdetails subform I have 4 boxes, item no. price description and qty. in the item no. I currently pu inthe number 1, 2,3 etc manually is there a automagic way of the database auto numbering the items in relation to the number of itmes I have on the subform.

Fuew thanks

2. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

I don't know what you mean by "copying the record"--i.e. where you want it to go. Should be as simple as running an append query with the appropriate criteria set, then maybe requerying the subform if you're trying to do it with the subform open.

As for setting the number automatically, you can use the BeforeInsert event of the form--this will not show on the form until the record is saved, but it will work correctly, together with the DMax() function, the appropriate criteria (ordernumber=x), and a + 1.

I'd suggest doing a little reading in Access help on append queries and DMax as a place to start. And you will have to be able to write (simple) macros to do it, so if you aren't familiar with them you should spend a little time learning about them in help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117346

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice