1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access Database Read Only

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Kammmie, Dec 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kammmie

Kammmie Thread Starter

Is it possible to open an entire access database (reports, queries, tables, etc.) as read-only? I figured out how to make forms read only but I would like to just make the entire database read only.

Thanks,
    Kristy

2. cristobal03

cristobal03

As in, no records can be added to the tables?

If you set all your bound forms' Allow properties (AllowAdditions, AllowDeletions, AllowEdits, and DataEntry) to No using the forms' Properties windows, then convert your database to an .mde file, you might be able to accomplish this.

I don't know a way of locking tables, but one probably exists. I'll do some research and post back.

If, on the other hand, you mean making everything read-only but the tables (i.e., users can't see any of the code, have limited menus, and cannot open tables directly, but they can add and update records), just convert a copy of your database to an .mde file.

If you have any questions or if I missed the point, post back please.

chris.

3. Kammmie

Kammmie Thread Starter

I have 20 people who will be viewing this and I don't want any of them changing anything at all (because then they make my life horrible ... lol). Thanks for the help. I will follow your suggestions.

4. Kammmie

Kammmie Thread Starter

Actually, i have all of those fields set to no in the add new item form and it will still let me?

5. cristobal03

cristobal03

Are you sure about that? Could you explain more, please?

If you're using a bound form, and if the AllowEdits property is set to No, you will not be able to change any information within a bound control. If AllowAdditions is set to No (also in a bound form), you will never see an empty (new) record.

I do not know how these properties behave with unbound forms.

chris.

6. Kammmie

Kammmie Thread Starter

Stupid question - how do I know if my form is bound or unbound?

7. Rockn

Rockn

Is it that you don't want anyone modifying your forms or do you not want them entering data period? Sounds like you want to protect your forms, not keep anyone from entering data.

8. Kammmie

Kammmie Thread Starter

I do not want anyone entering data period. All changes are to come through me. I have 20 people who would totally mess this database up even though it is user friendly. I don't want them entering via forms, editing via forms, or being able to go into the tables or report design views.

9. cristobal03

cristobal03

Your forms are bound if they have anything as a RecordSource. I believe the Forms Wizard tries to bind your forms by default. Check the form's Properties window; if there's a table name (most likely) in the Record Source textbox under the Data tab, it's a bound form.

In which case (as long as your controls are bound as well) setting the form's Allow properties to No should prevent anyone from affecting the data whatsoever.

chris.

10. Rockn

Rockn

What is the point of having the database if you don't want the end users entering anything? Pass out a spreadsheet in the format you want and have them fill in the information and submit for oyur approval. You could also set up workgroup security and lock everything down.

11. Kammmie

Kammmie Thread Starter

Yes, it is bound then. I don't understand it though. It still allows for records to be added. The view/edit form doesn't allow for changes but this does. I wonder if it has to do with being an add form even though i selected additions/deletions/etc. as NO?

12. Kammmie

Kammmie Thread Starter

There is no point really but that is how my bosses want it. Unfortunately I am not very familiar with workgroup security but I will play around. Thanks for the advice.

13. cristobal03

cristobal03

I don't know what you mean about "being an add form," but if every Allow property as well as the DataEntry property are set to No, you should not be seeing this behavior.

Anyway, we might be barking up the wrong tree. There's a much higher learning curve, but you can also accomplish this using Access security features. You can establish your 20 users as a group with no permission to enter or modify records.

I merely suggested the first because it seems like an easier solution to me. But I don't think it's the best solution. For example, you'd have to reset all the forms' properties when you wanted to enter data.

I've never implemented Access security. Microsoft has a very useful FAQ on the issue, though. If this sounds like what you want to do, post back and maybe we can help you out if you run into snags.

chris.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/426357

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice