1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access - Database Set Up Question

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by MJAmbrose, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MJAmbrose

MJAmbrose Thread Starter

Hi! I'm a web designer - new to databases.

I'm setting up a database for a DJ company, and wanted a second opinion. Is it better to create one table called "Events" (which would necessarily hold a space for only occasionally required fields like BridesName and GroomsName), or to break the table down into a table for Weddings, Parties, Mitzvahs, etc. and either risk some form of redundancy. I'm leaning toward the first option, but wasn't certain, and wanted a second opinion.

Thank you!!! :D

PS - Using Access 2007 (but I don't know that it's relevant to this question) Thank you.

2. friedban

friedban

There are rules in deciding how many tables to use.

1 nf/2nf/3nf - nf=normalized form.

1 table with all events should be fine.

3. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Like fried was saying one table will be fine with a "category" field that specifies the type of event. Friedban was talking about 1st, 2nd, 3rd......... etc normal form which is a set of rules that tells you what to think about when setting up a database. I am posting a link to a site which by a quick glance talks about the different rules or normalization which I just talked about. ;)

4. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Jim, I like that Normalising Link a lot. (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/600771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice