1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

access Database

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by dragonlight, May 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragonlight

dragonlight Thread Starter

I have a database where I enter part number description, and cost. I also have another database that is updated all the time with this information in it. I would like to be able to link or however you do it. I would like to lets say put in the part number and then when I push enter or tab the description and cost field populates.

any help would be great.

2. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

you can link by selecting the table tab in the DB window and then click NEW followed by selecting Link. Then search for your other database and select the table you want to link to.

You will now have access to all the fields, it is the same as a table now except you may have sharing issues if the table is opened on the source DB.

You can use this linked table just as a regular table to make reports forms, queries etc. so you may not need the table you created with the same information as it is redundant.

So you can make a form with your linked table with a combo to select the product.
    =========================================================
    I don't know to what degree of detail you want or how much you know so if you need more help just post back.

3. Blue2

Blue2

----------------------------------------------------
    Not sure how new you are to Access, however, linking tables requires that ONE field in the two tables MUST be identical for the linking to work properly. For instance PART NUMBER should be a Key Field in one table and included at least as a field in the second table, not as a Key Field.

JESSE

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/228833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice