1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

access denied by access control list

Discussion in 'Networking' started by davemilne, Mar 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davemilne

davemilne Thread Starter

hey everyone

I was just wondering if anybody could spare some time to help me out with a problem

we have set up a network in our house with the use of a hub and router...we have broadband connected to NTL....with six computers connected

However one of our flatmates computers gives this error message when she tries to use IE: 'Forbidden, You were denied access by access control list'

She uses win XP..

She can still use messenger which shows the connection to her comp is fine... I have had a search around the net with no luck...something to do with her ISP connection although our ISP is well NTL i think..... i just plug and played this computer, no CD or anything...

any help would be hugel appreciated

thanks

dave

2. davemilne

davemilne Thread Starter

oh by the way... im a bit of a noob when it comes to comps so could anything suggested be in laymans terms thnxs

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

"something to do with her ISP connection although our ISP "

How many ISP connections is the computer configured for?

What is different networking wise on the computer that isn't work as compared to the ones that are?

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

For example, make sure that the IP information on the problem computer matches what is on the working ones. This would include the IP address (just the last number should be different), the subnet mask, the gateway and DNS address.

5. davemilne

davemilne Thread Starter

right i will look into into .....I think we all have the same ISP ....NTL ...well yeh we do cos thats the only connection we have..... but i didnt even install the CD or anything.. i literally plugged and played.....hers just wont let her.... i will check her info and compare em with the rest and get back to u

thanks

6. davemilne

davemilne Thread Starter

ok...checked the info on people's network settings and found the following:

Firstly the problamatic comp had two connections: one LAN - which had no IP or anything and wasnt or sending any packets and a 1394 connectiion with the net adapter which did have have a an ip and which was sending packets and stuff.. so wrote her details down and checked mine....which being ME (a load of crap) just told me it automatically detects the IP......so checked another comp on the network(XP this time) and found the details this time...(this comp works fine) his IP was exactly the same as hers apart from the very last number......there subnet masks were the same

soooooo what do i do now...her IP is different........is this a big problem......

cheers

7. davemilne

davemilne Thread Starter

ah ok so its ok if the last number is different... right so what else could be the cause

where the hell is the access control list.

i know which computer runs the network type thing.... i think he can bring up a list of all the comps and allow or disable access but not sure how to get there

any help pleeeeease!

dave

8. davemilne

davemilne Thread Starter

hmmm this is a tricky one

9. neils

neils

I've had exactly this problem recently after upgrading to a wireless network. IE6 worked fine for one user but not for any of the others on the same PC due to access control.
    The resolution for me was to go to Internet Options and the connections tab, then LAN Settings, and ensure that none of these boxes is checked (Automatcally detect settings, Use automatic configuration script, Use a proxy server).

Neil

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/338026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice