1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access Denied Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sn1p34, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sn1p34

sn1p34 Thread Starter

Hi, i resintly just did a windows xp repair of the os disk and i changed my computers name not knowing that it would cause thsi probleam, when i try to take stuff of my old accounts desktop and documents i get Access Denied .. i have tryed everything to get my files back but i can't access it, and i don't remember what my comps name was befor i changed it.
    Thanks.

2. M.I.C.R.O.N

M.I.C.R.O.N

This may be a problem, because basically because you changed the name, it thinks your not the owner. Try booting to safe move and the Administrator Account to access the file.

When you create your username you are assigned a unique identifier for your user account, this comes in very handy when using the encrypted file system.

Your old username certificate should still be installed. But will be encrypted and have its unique SID.

If you're in a situation where you need to recover encrypted files, you need to know which user accounts are authorized to decrypt the files. For a single file, you can view its Encryption Details dialog box, (Right-click the file and choose Properties. On the General tab, click Advanced, Details.) To learn about multiple files, you're better off wiTh a command-line utility named Efsinfo.exe, which shows who encrypted each file and who has permission to decrypt it, including any recovery agents.

Efsinfo.exe is on the Windows XP CD-ROM in \Support\Tools\ Support.cab; it's not installed by default. In addition to the help generated by typing efsinfo /? at a command prompt and the help available in the Help And Support Center, Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q243026 has more information about Efsinfo.

A utility called EFSDump, from the good people at Sysinternals, is available at http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml. Like Efsinfo.exe, EFS Dump shows who encrypted a file and who has access to it.

3. sn1p34

sn1p34 Thread Starter

Thanks,
    ok, i tryed what you said with right clicking on it, and click details under avanced, but the detail buttons is not functioinal, it won't allow me to click the button. The ESFDumb program dosen't rly do anything, it opens dos and a second later is cloases it, i was also told that i could fix it by

"You can try resetting the permissions but it will not work if you had the files encrypted. Worth a shot.

Open a command prompt and type:

cacls "PATH" /e /g /c USER:f

Change PATH to the full path to the folder you are addressing and change USER to your user name. Observe all spaces as written. Leave the quotation marks for the path. If executed correctly, you'll get a small confirmation message. If you get any other message and you're sure you typed it correctly, you're out of luck.

As an example, for me the command to allow me access to my user folder would be:

cacls "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner" /e /g /c Owner:f

EDIT: If that fails, try this before giving up:

cacls "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner" /t /e /p Owner:f

substituting as before."

But i tryed it and with no success i also tryed changeing the command cacls "c:\documents and settings\admin" /g Cameron:F
    but that didn't work eather...

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

5. sn1p34

sn1p34 Thread Starter

I figured it out yesterday, but thanks for the help anyways.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!