1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access Denied folder/directory?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by r00ted, Aug 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r00ted

r00ted Thread Starter

Well....I did an uninstall/reinstall today of Ultima Online....backed up my Desktop (containing profiles/macros for my characters) directory to my desktop of course, and after the install, slapped it back into the Ultima Online 2D directory and I got Access Denied all over the place when trying to browse the desktop directory that i pasted into the Ultima Online 2D directory.....and it's really annoying cause i have to go open each folder manually, Select All, then Right click, Set access to everyone, for EACH FOLDER and every file within each folder.....between 3-4 different "accounts" and different "servers" and 5 characters on each account, that's a lot of selecting, right clicking and setting to everyone access.....sooo....lol.

On another forum, a regedit trick was posted to access the CACLS.exe file from the right click context menu to set the files/directories to "Everyone" and I wanted to know if it is possible to use a wildcard *.* in the following regedit. Something, that I could just right click the Ultima Online 2D directory, and set access to everyone, and it would set everyone access throughout all directories and files throughout.

Code:
     Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Reset_Permissions_to_Everyone]
    @="Reset Permissions to Everyone"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Reset_Permissions_to_Everyone\command]
    @="cacls.exe \"%L\" /G Everyone:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\Reset Security]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\Reset Security\command]
    @="cacls.exe \"%L\" /G Everyone:F"
    Is this possible? :X

2. r00ted

r00ted Thread Starter

Ok. i solved my own problem :p and yes, the wildcard works/ed

I used cacls.exe *.* /G EVERYONE:F and it worked. seems to be working fine. I just had to CD \Program Files\Ultima Online 2D\ from the C:\ prompt

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!