1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access denied for my own files

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jims17, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jims17

jims17 Thread Starter

I have files on a shared network drive. One particular folder has gone south on me and I can't access my own files on it. Actually, I can open them, but if I save them there, I can't open them again because I'm told I don't have authorization. If I right click in the folder (or any of its subfolders) in explorer and create a new Word file, as soon as I create it I get the "Access denied. Contact Administrator." error. Game over.

I also keep some Outlook email templates (.oft) in a subfolder here. When this started happening, Outlook wouldn't see any .oft file that I updated and resaved there. Now it won't see ANY of the .oft files, even though I haven't touched them with this computer.

It's important to note that this is only an issue with this one folder - and with this one computer. If I access through another computer, everything's fine. Office has been removed and re-installed. All of my permissions have been checked and rechecked and the computer scanned for any virus or malware issues. It's clean. But obviously there's something in there that's not right. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is driving me nuts!

2. dai

dai

try taking access through the security setting

3. jims17

jims17 Thread Starter

Thanks, Dai, but that's been tried. By all appearances, I have all the permissions I need. They've even been taken away and re-instated. It's a shared network folder giving me the problem and the fact that I have no problem accessing from another computer would suggest that it's not related to permissions for my login. Something on this one computer is acting up.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    It appears to related to the log in on the problem machine.
    Unless you are on a Domain network, each user account on each machine is a different profile.

5. dai

dai

the only thing i can think of,is on the problem machine that network sharing is not enabled

6. jims17

jims17 Thread Starter

Dai, could be the issue when I have proper access and editing abilities in all other network locations?

I just saved a document from the problem machine and as expected was then denied access to it. I was able to open it on another machine, edit it and save it. I then went back to the problem machine and was still denied access. I should have full access, but this machine seems to be marking files it touches. Image and other non-MS files (there aren't many these days!) don't get the Access Denied error, but the application instead says that it's not a valid file.

Attached Files:

7. dai

dai

i have asked someone to take a look,that may be able to help

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you open anything else on the drive - any types of file in the folder or any other folders ?

or do you get access denied for everything on the shared drive

9. jims17

jims17 Thread Starter

I can access most files just fine as long as I don't save them. It's only after I save that I get the Access Denied error - for MS files; others are as indicated. As a quick test, if I right click in the folder, then New... > Microsft Word Document, when I hit Enter to create the file I immediately get the error and cannot access the file.

Now, with all that said, I had another user log on to this machine and try the same things I was doing - no problems encountered. So I logged back in as myself and - everything's fine! At least for now. When this started, it actually came and went for a few days. But this is the first time it's gone away in over a week. And I haven't rebooted or logged out yet.

I'll keep my fingers crossed but I don't consider it fixed yet!

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you have an IT dept / person ?

its very difficult for us as we have no idea if changing settings and/or removing policies are actually needed for company operations, I would recommend this should be handled by your own IT Departments in order to avoid any undesirable results.

if we run any test programs or suggest removing items - this may be in breech of your company policy

11. jims17

jims17 Thread Starter

I appreciate the concern. To be honest, we do have an IT dept. They've scratched their heads, checked a few things, scanned it for any known virus/malware and have settled on imaging a new system for me. I hate all the little personalizations that you have to go back and set up with a new system so I was doing a little more investigation on my own.

Worst case is that I get the new system. It's just an odd problem and I was hoping to find an actual solution, saving everyone time.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice