1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Access Denied (how to gain access to another machine QUICKLY!!)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by scj6771, Nov 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scj6771

scj6771 Thread Starter

And yet quite possibly another no brainer for you all, I work on a large number of machines for family and friends, mostly 2000 or XP Home and Pro and to be quite honest with you I am not sure what the best way to connect to these machines would be, what I mean is I am soooooo tired of setting up a machine in my shop, running up stairs to my primary machine to either get in remotly or tap into the c:\ drive of the other machine only to realize that I do not have permition, or I do not remember the computer name, or I do not have the password, or I can not log on as the "guest". Do you know what I mean? I get so frustrated when I get the "Access Denied" message. it seems to me I spend more time trying to get into these machines than I do reparing them. So I guess my question would be, once I have the machine setup what is the FASTEST way for me to gain access to that machine from another machine? Lets just focus on XP and 2000, Do I really have to setup a user first to gain access? or is there a quicker way. Thanks.

2. pc_doctor

pc_doctor

Im having this trouble aswel - I end up having to use Remote Desktop
    Does anybody have any ideas?

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

How else do you expect to gain access to a computer if you do not know the username and password on the computer.

4. pc_doctor

pc_doctor

Could the problem with mine be that i have different passwords on each computer for each user name, so i cant access the shared files or folders?

Is there a way to allow all computers to access shared folders even if they have different usernames and passwords but on the name workgroup/domain?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It seems unlikly that the family or friend bringing the machine can't access it. :)

6. scj6771

scj6771 Thread Starter

I do not think you understand what it is I am asking, getting into the c:\ drive of a machine regardless of knowing passwords can still have the same effect. ACCESS DENIED.....

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Have you shared the drive or are you trying to use the administrative C$ share?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you know the name/password of the account on the machine, connect as that user. You can also simply create an account on the machine with the name/password that is used on the client machine. Problem solved.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!